• Ambedkar Jayanti marked the birth anniversary of India’s first law minister and the father of Indian Constitution Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar.
• The longest written constitution of the world was written by the constitutional assembly of India, whose chairman was Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar.
• Ambedkar Jayanti is also celebrated to remember his commitment in fighting social evils like caste discrimination and oppression. He strongly opposed the caste system and sought to eradicate it from the society.
• He always worked to uplift the lives of women, labourers and the untouchables. Being a savant social reformer, economist and influential orator, Dr Ambedkar was a scholar in various disciplines like political science, law and economics.
Date of Ambedkar Jayanti 2022
• Ambedkar Jayanti or Bhim Jayanti observed on 14 April to commemorate the birth anniversary of B. R. Ambedkar.
• Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar, also known as Babasaheb Ambedkar was born on April 14, 1891.
• To pay tribute to his invaluable contribution to the Indian legal system and Constitution, every year, 14th of April is celebrated as Equality day.
• In 2022 the Ambedkar Jayanti will fall on Thursday.
History of Ambedkar Jayanti 2022
• Janardan Sadashiv Ranapisay, an Ambedkarite and social activist, celebrated the first birth anniversary of Babasaheb Ambedkar on 14 April 1928 in Pune.
• He started the tradition of Babasaheb’s birth anniversary as Ambedkar Jayanti and since then, India commemorates Ambedkar Jayanti or Bhim Jayanti as an official public holiday every year on April 14.
Significance of Ambedkar Jayanti 2022
• The Ambedkar Jayanti draws attention to the caste-based bigotry that still exist in our society even when we celebrate the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav to commemorate 75 years of independence.
• We commemorate Babasaheb’s contribution to the upliftment of the underprivileged by commemorating the day.
• Ambedkar drafted the Indian constitution that guarantees equal rights to all citizens, regardless of caste, creed, religion, race, or culture.
• B.R. Ambedkar formed the to promote untouchables’ basic rights and education,
• In order to bring about a new socio-political awareness among the untouchables and placing their grievances before the government, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar established “Bahishkrit Hitkarini Sabaha” on 20 July 1924 at Bombay.
Tributes to Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar
14 April 1990
• Ambedkar was accorded with the Bharat Ratna award.
14 April 1990 — 14 April 1991
• The time period was observed as “Year of Social Justice” in the memory of Babasaheb.
• Government of Maharashtra has decided to celebrate 14 April as Knowledge Day (Dnyan Din) in the Indian state of Maharashtra in memory of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar.
• To mark the 125 Birth Anniversary in the honor of Ambedkar, Government of India Issued 10 Rupees and 125 Rupees coins.
6 April 2020
• Council of the City of Burnaby, Canada has decided to observe April 14 as “Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Day of Equality”.
• Government of British Columbia has decided to observe April 14 as “Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Equality Day” in the province of British Columbia, Canada.
Canada’s British Columbia province has recognised April as Dalit History Month.
, The Government of British Columbia (Canada) observes 14 April as “Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Equality Day” in British Columbia, Canada.
•The Government of Colorado (United States) observes 14 April 2022 as “Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Equity Day” in Colorado, the United States.
• The Telangana government would install the proposed 125-ft bronze statue of Dr B R Ambedkar at PV Marg by December 2022 this year.
• On the eve of the 131st birth anniversary of Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar, a 72-feet tall statue made of fiber and steel, dedicated to him and named ‘Statue of Knowledge’, was unveiled at Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Park in Latur city of Maharashtra on Wednesday.
Some of the best Quotes of Babasaheb Ambedkar
Here are some evocative quotes by Dr Ambedkar that you can share this Ambedkar Jayanti.
•“If you believe in living a respectable life, you believe in self-help which is the best help”.
• “Law and order are the medicine of the body politic and when the body politic gets sick, medicine must be administered.”
• “The relationship between husband and wife should be one of closest friends.”
• “Political tyranny is nothing compared to the social tyranny and a reformer who defies society is a more courageous man than a politician who defies Government.”
• “Every man who repeats the dogma of Mill that one country is no fit to rule another country must admit that one class is not fit to rule another class.”
•“A great man is different from an eminent one in that he is ready to be the servant of the society.”
• “We must stand on our own feet and fight as best as we can for our rights. So carry on your agitation and organize your forces. Power and prestige will come to you through struggle”
• “They cannot make history who forget history”.
•“The history of India is nothing but a history of a mortal conflict between Buddhism and Brahminism”.
• “Men are mortal, So are ideas- An idea needs propagation as much as a plant needs watering. Otherwise both will wither and die.”
•“Cultivation of mind should be the ultimate aim of human existence”.
•“I like the religion that teaches liberty, equality and fraternity”
•“Life should be great rather than long”.
• “Be Educated, Be Organised and Be Agitated”
• “I measure the progress of a community by the degree of progress which women have achieved.”