Bridges in India are an important part of the country’s infrastructure, as they provide connectivity and facilitate the movement of people and goods between different regions. India has a wide variety of bridges, from ancient stone and iron structures to modern concrete and steel bridges.
The Government of India often refurbishes and constructs various new bridges to maintain the country’s infrastructure and internal transportation. In this context, we have listed some recent events related to Bridge in this article. Here are the Latest Bridge Related Current Affairs 2023.
Last Update August 12, 2023
Bridge Related Current Affairs 2023 India
Maitri Setu (Friendship Bridge)
▪ Maitri Setu, meaning “Friendship Bridge,” is a 150-meter (490-foot) bridge.
▪ It spans the Feni River and connects Tripura in India with Chittagong port in Bangladesh.
▪ The bridge serves as a shorter and more cost-effective land route between India’s eastern and western states compared to the longer route through Assam.
▪ It was officially opened to the public on March 9, 2021, by the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi.
▪ The construction and maintenance of the Maitri Setu are carried out by NHIDCL (National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited).
▪ Bhagat Bridge is a 115-foot-long bridge located at the Line of Control (LoC) in Machhal Sector, Kupwara District, Jammu and Kashmir, India.
▪ It was inaugurated on the eve of Independence Day by the Indian Army.
▪ The bridge connects Danna Village, the last village in Machhal Sector, with the rest of the region.
▪ It is named after Late Major Bhagat Singh, Veer Chakra, who sacrificed his life defending this sector during the 1965 war.
▪ Danna Village is also commonly known as Bhagat Village in memory of Major Bhagat Singh.
▪ Sepoy Mian Gul Khan, a 1971 war veteran, dedicated the bridge to the villagers in the presence of senior army officials and local dignitaries.
Durgam Cheruvu Bridge
▪ The Durgam Cheruvu Cable Bridge in Hyderabad, Telangana, India, is an extra-dosed bridge situated near Madhapur’s Inorbit Mall.
▪ Its purpose is to connect Jubilee Hills with the Financial District, alleviating traffic congestion to Madhapur across Durgam Cheruvu.
▪ Recently the cable-stayed hanging bridge over Durgam Cheruvu won an award for its
Anji Khad Bridge
▪ The Anji Khad bridge is currently being constructed to connect the Katra and Reasi sections of the Jammu-Baramulla railway line over the Anji River.
▪ Initially, an arch bridge design was proposed, resembling the Chenab Bridge arch design, but it was rejected.
▪ Instead, a new design for a cable-stayed bridge was approved, which will make it India’s first cable-stayed railway bridge. The bridge is being built by the Hindustan Construction Company.
▪ Defence Minister Rajnath Singh recently inaugurated the Siyom bridge in Arunachal Pradesh.
▪ The completion of infrastructure projects, including the Siyom bridge, by the Border Roads Organization (BRO) will enhance the Indian military’s capability to swiftly and efficiently move troops and supplies to border areas.
Bailey Suspension Bridge (Maitri Setu)
▪ Defence Minister Rajnath Singh e-inaugurated the newly rebuild 240 ft Bailey Suspension Bridge (BSB).
▪ The bridge is also known as Maitri Setu, built over the Chenab River in Jammu and Kashmir.
▪ Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) has signed an MoU with Kerala Electrical & Allied Engineering (KEL) for joint research and development of the lightweight bailey bridge.
▪ Asia’s second and country’s first cable suspension bridge Bajrang Setu is being constructed at Rishikesh.
▪ This bridge is coming up next to the famous 90-year-old Laxman Jhula.
Bridge Related Current Affairs 2023 [World]
▪ Recently, External Affairs Minister Dr. S. Jaishankar inaugurated the Buzi Bridge in Mozambique.
Bridge Related Current Affairs 2022 India
New Pamban Bridge
▪ It is India’s first vertical lift sea bridge.
▪ Total length of the Bridge: 2.078 Km.
▪ Estimated cost of the project is ₹279.63 crore.
▪ The bridge is set to replace the iconic Pamban bridge.
▪ The Pamban bridge is the first sea bridge in India, which was opened in 1914.
▪ The new bridge has a 72-meter-long vertical lift span, which can be lifted by 17 meters to allow ships to pass under it.
▪ It connects the town of Mandapam in mainland India with Rameswaram on Pamban Island.
Construction progress of 🇮🇳’s First Vertical Lift Railway Sea Bridge – New Pamban Bridge. pic.twitter.com/0FzlG8S0db— Ministry of Railways (@RailMinIndia) June 24, 2022
New Zuari bridge
▪ Recently, Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the New Zuari bridge located in Goa.
▪ It is the second-largest cable-stayed bridge in India.
▪ The bridge is located over the Zuari River on the Panaji–Margao stretch of the National Highway 66.
▪ This bridge will be used as an expressway between Panaji and Margao.
The New #ZuariBridge is driving attention of the Cycling clubs too. The Panjim Cycling Club and Xaxti Riders took a ride on the newly inaugurated Bridge and appreciated the engineering marvel. 1/2 pic.twitter.com/i53iUzRhsP— Dr. Pramod Sawant (@DrPramodPSawant) January 3, 2023
▪ An under-bridge in Rajkot, Gujarat has been named after General Bipin Rawat to honor the country’s first Chief of Defense Staff.
▪ Gujarat chief minister Bhupendra Patel virtually inaugurated the under-bridge located in Laxmi Nagar.
Anji Khad Bridge
▪ Country’s first cable-stayed bridge over the Anji River (a tributary of the Chenab River).
▪ The bridge is located in Jammu and Kashmir’s Reasi district.
▪ Recently, Indian Railways shared new images of the country’s first cable-stayed Anji Khad Bridge.
▪ It connects the Katra and Reasi Sections of the Jammu–Baramulla line.
Engineering Marvel in the Making : The work on magnificent Anji Khad Bridge 🌉, India’s first cable stayed rail bridge, is going on in full swing.— Piyush Goyal (@PiyushGoyal) December 22, 2020
A part of Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Rail Link project, it will connect Katra & Reasi in Jammu and Kashmir. pic.twitter.com/tjLlsmYaOS
Jhula Bailey Suspension Bridge
▪ Recently, Jhula Bailey Suspension Bridge was inaugurated at Jammu & Kashmir’s Ramban.
▪ The bridge is built over the Chenab River.
▪ It connects the old town of Ramban with the district administrative complex Maitra Ramban.
Mahatma Gandhi Setu
▪ It is India’s longest steel bridge built over the river Ganga.
▪ It is also known as “Ganga Setu”, connecting National Highways 22 and 31.
▪ Its length is 5.7Km and it is the third-longest river bridge in India.
Also See, Top 10 Longest Brideges in India 2023
Miscellaneous One-liners India
▪ Union Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the 14.5 km long rail-cum-road-bridge over the river Ganga in Bihar.
▪ Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has signed an MOU with Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Limited, Kolkata for the construction of 27 bridges in border areas.
▪ Meghalaya’s living root bridges have found a place in the tentative list of World Heritage Sites under UNESCO.
▪ Recently, the ‘Golden Joint’ of the Chenab Railway bridge was inaugurated in the Reasi districts of Jammu and Kashmir.
▪ PM, Modi inaugurated the 300 meters long pedestrian-only “Atal Bridge” over the Sabarmati River in Ahmedabad.
▪ Recently, at least 141 people were killed when a British-era pedestrian suspension bridge built over the Machu river called Jhulto Pul, collapsed in Gujarat’s Morbi district.
▪ Recently, the central government approved the construction of a cable-stayed-cum-suspension bridge over the Krishna River that will connect Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
▪ Recently, Indian Army has started construction of 90 feet long Bailey Bridge over the river Sukhtawa in Madhya Pradesh.
Bridge Related Current Affairs 2022 [World]
Miscellaneous One-liners World
▪ Pangong Tso, the disputed lake between India and China, is in the news for China to build a bridge.
▪ Vietnam has just opened the world’s longest glass-bottomed bridge known as the Bach Long pedestrian bridge.
▪ Recently, the Czech Republic opened the world’s longest suspension footbridge, named “Sky Bridge 721”
▪ India and Nepal signed an MoU for the construction of a motorable Bridge over the Mahakali River connecting Dharchula (India) with Darchula (Nepal).
▪ World’s longest suspension bridge over the Dardanelles Strait was inaugurated by Turkey.
▪ Recently, the Padma Bridge was inaugurated in Bangladesh, the longest river bridge in Bangladesh built over the Padma River.
▪ Kerch Bridge also called Kerch Strait Bridge recently seen in the news, the bridge connects Russia with Crimea.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Answer: Mahatma Gandhi Setu
Answer: Girish Bharadwaj (Karnataka)
Answer: The Bach Long pedestrian bridge in Vietnam
Answer: Sky Bridge 721