Droupadi Murmu (born 20 June 1958) is an Indian politician who is a candidate for the 2022 Indian presidential election by NDA and was the ninth Governor of Jharkhand. She belongs to the Scheduled Tribe community in India.
Recent Updates about Draupadi Murmu
• NDA presidential candidate Draupadi Murmu on Thursday (21 July) crossed the crucial 50 percent mark after the third round of counting to win the polls against her rival Yashwant Sinha.
• Draupadi Murmu is now the 15th President of India. She is the first-ever person from the Tribal community to be elected as the President of India.
• Ram Nath Kovind is currently the President (14th President) of the country. His term ends on July 24. Draupadi Murmu, the country’s second woman president, will take oath on July 25.
• Murmu is the first person from Odisha and only the second woman after Pratibha singh Patil to occupy this post.
• She is the youngest and first individual to have been born after India’s independence in 1947, elected to this post.
• Draupadi Murmu was born almost 20 years after the independence of the country, all the previous presidents were born before the independence of the country.
Early Life: of Draupadi Murmu
• Draupadi Murmu was born on 20 June 1958 in the Baidaposi village of Mayurbhanj district in Odisha.
• Her father’s name is Biranchi Narayan Tudu. She belongs to the Santal family, a tribal ethnic group. Tudu and his grandfather were both village heads under the Panchayati Raj system.
Personal Life of Draupadi Murmu
• Draupadi Murmur was married to Shyam Charan Murmu. The couple had two sons and a daughter. The life of Draupadi Murmur is marked by personal tragedy and the loss of her husband and two sons.
The career of Draupadi Murmu
Career in State Politics:
• During the Bharatiya Janata Party and Biju Janata Dal coalition government in Odisha, She was the Minister of State with independent charge for Commerce and Transport from March 6, 2000, to August 6, 2002, and Fisheries and Animal Resources Development from August 6, 2002, to May 16, 2004.
• She was a former Odisha Minister and an MLA from the Rairangpur assembly constituency in the years 2000 and 2004. A candidate from NDA for the presidential election to be held in July 2022.
• She is the first woman Governor of Jharkhand. She is the first woman and tribal leader from Odisha to be appointed a governor in an Indian state. She is the candidate from NDA for the next presidential election in India in July 2022.
• She is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party. She is the first governor of Jharkhand to complete the five-year term (2015-2021), since its formation in the year 2000.
Personal Details of Draupadi Murmu
Date of Birth: 20 June 1958
Age (as of 2022): 64 Years
Birth Place: Mayurbhanj, Odisha, India
Marital Status: Widow
Spouse(s): Shyam Charan Murmu (deceased)
Children: 2 sons (deceased), 1 daughter
University: Rama Devi Women’s University, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
Educational Qualification: Bachelor of Arts
Smt. Droupadi Murmu Ji has devoted her life to serving society and empowering the poor, downtrodden as well as the marginalised. She has rich administrative experience and had an outstanding gubernatorial tenure. I am confident she will be a great President of our nation.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) June 21, 2022
Timeline of Political Journey of Draupadi Murmu
• 1997: Elected as the councilor of Rairangpur district of Odisha.
• 1997: become the Vice Chairperson of Rairangpur
• 2000: (assembly elections), she was given the Department of Transport and
Commerce till 2002.
• 2002: The government of Odisha gave her the portfolio of Fisheries and Animal Husbandry. ( She served at the post till 2004)
• 2002 – 2009: BJP district president for the Mayurbhanj district.
• 2004: elected as an MLA from Rairangpur. (served till 2009)
• 2006: BJP named her as the state president of the Scheduled Tribe Morcha of Odisha. (She served at the post till 2009)
• 2010: BJP district president for the Mayurbhanj district (2nd time)
• 2013: became BJP district president for the Mayurbhanj district (3rd time) (She served at the post till April 2015)
• 2015: She was given the charge of Governor of Jharkhand.
• 2022: Candidate for the 2022 Indian presidential election by NDA.
Jhulan Goswami Biography: Birth, Age, Family, and Early Life