Festival list of India 2022: ‘List of Festivals of India’ is an essential topic under current affairs and ‘Art and Cultures’. All the recent ‘festival in News’ falls under the current affairs section. This topic is important for almost all competitive exams, especially UPSC, WBCS, SSC, Railway and other state PSCs’. In this article, we provide the ” 2022 festival list” of India that is recently celebrated across different regions of India.
Festival Current Affairs August 2022
Shumang Leela Festival
• The 50th All Manipur Shumang Leela Festival 2021-2022 kicked off at Iboyaima Shumang Leela Shanglen at Palace Compound in Imphal.
• It is a traditional form of theatre in Manipur.
• In this festival, the roles of female artists are played by all male actors and the male characters are played by female artists in the case of female troupes.
Festival Current Affairs July 2022
Hareli Tihar festival
• This is a traditional farm festival celebrated in Chhattisgarh.
• Hareli marks the beginning of Shravan month.
• It is considered to be the first festival of Chhattisgarh.
• On this auspicious occasion, farmers worship their farm equipment and cows.
• Kharchi Puja is a tribal festival celebrated in Tripura.
• The literal meaning of Kharchi is – ‘cleaning of sins’
• In this festival, prayers are offered to 14 deities.
• Bonalu Festival is a Hindu festival where Goddess Mahakali is worshipped.
• This festival is usually celebrated during the Ashada Masam which falls in July or August.
• The festival is mainly celebrated in Telangana’s twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad and other parts of Telangana.
Festival Current Affairs June 2022
• Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, has inaugurated a “Mango Festival” in Brussels, Belgium.
• The mango festival is celebrated to raise awareness among Europeans and establish a market for Indian mangoes in Europe.
• The annual ancient Baikho festival, is celebrated in the month of June across the state of Assam.
• The festival is predominately celebrated by the Rabha tribes.
• The festival celebrated to bring abundant crops and good health
• The Rabha is a Tibeto-Burman agriculture-based community.
• Majority of the community lived in lower Assam, Garo hills and Door region in West Bengal.
• Union Minister of Science and Technology Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated the
• India’s First Lavender Festival started in Bhaderwah town in the Doda district of Jammu and Kashmir(J&K).
• The festival was inaugurated by Union Minister of Science and Technology Dr Jitendra Singh.
• CSIR-IIM introduced lavender farming in Jammu & Kashmir’s Rama, Doda, Kathua, Kishtwar, Rajouri, Udhampur, Pulwama, Kupwara, Anantnag, and Bandipora districts.
• CSIR–IIIM stands for Council of Scientific and Industrial Research–Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine.
Festival Current Affairs May 2022
Shirui Lily Festival
• The 4th edition of the Shirui Lily Festival began at Shirui village in Manipur’s Ukhrul district.
• The festival was inaugurated by the Governor of Manipur La. Ganesan along with the Chief Minister N. Biren Singh at Shirui Village Ground in Ukhrul district
• Shiri Lily or Lilium Mackliniae is the state flower of Manipur.
First Ever Bird Festival of Jammu and Kashmir
• The bird festival is celebrated to promote sustainable ecotourism and give impetus to nature-based alternative sources of livelihood for the local people.
• The festival is planned to be held in Pahalgam and Dachigam, Jammu and Kashmir.
Festival Current Affairs April 2022
• The annual festival Gangaur is celebrated from the 1st day of the month of Chaitra.
• The festival is consummated on the 3rd day of Shukla Paksha of the same month.
• The festival is mostly celebrated by the married women of Rajasthan.
• marks the worship of Goddess Gauri.
Nature Festival Sarhul
• The festival Sarhul, signifies the beginning of the New Year.
• It was celebrated in the state of Jharkhand.
• The verbal meaning of Sarhul is “worship of the Sal tree”.
• It is a three-day festival, which begins on the third day of ‘Chaitra’.
• It is a tribal festival which is celebrated by the Oraon, the Munda, and the Ho tribes of the Jharkhand region.
• Sarhul marks the advent of the spring season or “Phaagun” and is celebrated till the month of June or “Jeth”.
Festival Current Affairs March 2022
• Herath or the ‘Night of Hara(Shiva)’, generally known as Maha Shivratri.
• The festival is celebrated by the Kashmiri Pandits across Jammu and Kashmir(J&K).
• The festival marks the wedding of Lord Shiva with Goddess Parvati.
• The festival Dol Utsav is mainly celebrated by the people of West Bengal.
• The ‘Dol Utsav’ or ‘Dol Jatra’, marks the onset of the spring season.
• The festival is dedicated to Lord Krishna and Radha and celebrated on full moon day.
Festival Current Affairs February 2022
Spituk Gustor Festival 2022
• The Spituk Gustor Festival celebrated in Ladakh.
• It is a celebration of peace and prosperity.
• The festival is celebrated at the Spituk Monastery in Leh and Ladakh.
• The festival’s main attraction was the colourful mask dance locally called Chams.
• The colourful mask dance performed by the monks of
• The Torgya Festival begins in Arunachal Pradesh at Tawang Monastery.
• The three days long festivals celebrated by the Monpa tribal community of Arunachal Pradesh.
• The festival’s main attraction is the ‘Sha-na Cham’, the ritual dance performed by monks.
• Other popular dances are performed by artists including Fa Chan and Losjker Chungiye.
• The three-day-long “Mandu Festival” began at the historic town of Mandu in the Dhar district of Madhya Pradesh.
• This festival showcases each and every aspect of the ancient Mandu city, ranging from food, music, history heritage, art & craft etc.
Ancient Kanchoth festival
• The ancient Kanchoth festival is a symbol of ancient Nag culture.
• It was observed with religious fervour and gaiety across the Chenab valley region of Jammu and Kashmir.
• The festival is celebrated by locals, mainly Nag followers who believe that on this day of Gouri Tritiya, Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati got married and the latter insisted on a throne made of snow as her wedding gift.
• The Maru Mahotsav is celebrated at the Pokaran village in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan.
• The renowned Maru Mahotsav is also known as Jaisalmer Desert Festival.
• The four-day festival began with a colourful parade followed by Miss Pokaran and Mister Pokran competitions.
• It is held in the Hindu month of Magh (February) three days before the full moon.
• Various competitions, including Turban tying, Panihari Matka, Mehandi and Mandana competitions will be organised.
• Regional folk dances such as Kalbelia, Kachhi Ghodi, and Gair will be performed.
Medaram Jathara 2022
• The 2022 Medaram Jatara Festival is celebrated in Telangana.
• It is a four-day long festival celebrated by the Koya tribes.
• Koya tribes is the second-largest Tribal Community of Telangana.
• The Medaram Jathara is celebrated biennially (once in two years) in the month of February.
• The festival is celebrated to honour the Goddesses Sammakka and Saralamma, mother and daughter duo.
• The Medaram Jatara begins at Medaram in Tadvai Mandal in Mulugu District, Telangana
• Medaram is a remote place in the Eturnagaram Wildlife Sanctuary.
• It was declared a State Festival in 1998.
48th Khajuraho Dance Festival
• The 47th Khajuraho Dance Festival began in Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh.
• The first-day event is dedicated to Bharatanatyam performance by Geeta Chandran and her troupe and Kathak performance by Deepak Maharaj.
List of Indian Festival 2022 in January
• Annually celebrated across the Indian State of Sikkim.
• Losoong festival is celebrated as Sonam Losoong, by the Sikkimese Bhutia and as Namsoong by the Lepchas.
• It marks the beginning of the harvest season.
• The Namsoong festival begins on the 1st day of the new moon phase Kurneet Lovo.
North East Festival
• The 9th edition of the North East Festival was held in Guwahati, Assam.
• The Festival was inaugurated by Jagdish Mukhi, Governor of Assam.
Click the “Print This Page Button”