‘List of Festivals of India’ is an essential topic under “recent important current affairs” and ‘Art and Cultures’. All the recent ‘festival in News’ falls under the current affairs section. This topic is important for almost all competitive exams, especially UPSC, WBCS, SSC, Railway and other state-level exams. In this article, we provide the ” 2022 festival list” of India that is recently celebrated across different regions of India.
Festival Current Affairs December 2022
23rd Hornbill Festival
• Hornbill Festival is celebrated at Naga Heritage Village Kisama in Nagaland.
• It is also known as the ‘Festival of Festivals’.
• It is a 10-day festival, where a visitor gets to see all the Naga tribes, their culture and distinctiveness at one place.
First-ever Tribal Winter Festival
• A first-of-its-kind Tribal Winter Festival was held in the Bandipora district of Jammu and Kashmir.
• The festival witnessed music, dance, and cultural events that left the people enthralled
• People from the Kashmiri community, Gujjars and Bakerwals danced together to the beat of the dhol in a unique image of cultural unity in diversity.
Swar Dharohar Festival
• Ministry of Culture of India in collaboration with “Swar Dharohar Foundation,” inaugurated a three-day “Swar Dharohar Festival”.
• It is a music, art and literary festival to showcase the iconic art and culture of India, started in Delhi.
• Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in partnership with the Indian Council of Cultural Relations (ICCR) and the Goa government will organize the International Lusophone Festival in Goa.
North East Festival
• 10th Edition of the North East Festival Begins at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi.
• It showcases the diverse life, culture, heritage and tourism of the North East region.
• Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Minister Narayan Rane inaugurated the MSME exhibition at the North East Festival.
• The Losar Festival in Ladakh is celebrated at the onset of the New Year in the traditional schedule of Tibetan Buddhism.
• The 15 days festival is celebrated by the Buddhist Community in the Ladakh region.
• Losar is a Tibetan word that means ‘New Year.
Nowshera Folk Festival
• ‘Nowshera Folk Festival’ held to boost tourism in Jammu & Kashmir’s Rajouri.
• The event was inaugurated by Deputy Commissioner Rajouri, Vikas Kundal along with DDC Chairman Naseem Liaquat Choudhury.
• The festival, which attracted a large crowd, began with a Dogri dance followed by a Gojri and Pahari dance by eminent artistes.
Festival Current Affairs November 2022
Saras Food Festival 2022
• Recently, Saras Food Festival, 2022 was organized in New Delhi.
• The festival was organized to promote ethnic and homemade handicrafts, paintings, toys etc. made by women of Self Help Groups (SHGs).
• Tokhu Emong, a post-harvest festival, is celebrated by the Lotha Nagas in the Indian state of Nagaland.
• Here Tokhü means feast and Emong means the Halt on the appointed time.
Amur Falcon Festival 2022
• Manipur Forest Authority will celebrate the 7th edition of the Amur Falcon Festival at the Tamenglong district of Imphal.
• Amur Falcon is the world’s longest-flying migratory bird.
• Wangala Festival is the most popular harvest festival among the Garos of Meghalaya, India.
• It is celebrated in honour of Saljong, the sun god of fertility.
• The festival marks the end of a period of toil, which brings good harvests to the fields.
Sangai Festival 2022
• Sangai festival is the biggest tourism festival in Manipur. The festival is named after the state animal of Manipur.
• It was held at Sangai Ethnic Park, located at Moirang Khunou of Bishnupur district.
• The theme of the festival is the ‘festival of oneness’.
Kadlekai Parishe festival
• ‘Kadlekai Parishe’ is a popular groundnut fair in Bengaluru’s Basavanagudi.
• The festival was organised in the lane opposite the famous Bull Temple of Basavanaguri.
• During the fair, groundnut farmers from all over the state bring bags of groundnuts to sell them at the fair.
• The Annual Youth Festival ‘Sonzal-2022’ inaugurated by Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha at the University of Kashmir.
• The word “Sonjal” here means rainbow, which symbolizes hope, inspiration and good luck.
Festival Current Affairs October 2022
Sufi Rang Festival 2022
• Recently, the 15th International Sufi Rang Festival 2022 began in Rajasthan.
Bird Festival 2022
• Jammu and Kashmir in collaboration with Sanctuary Nature Foundation, has inaugurated a first-of-its-kind Bird Festival.
26th Virasat Arts and Heritage Festival 2022
• The 26th Virasat Arts and Heritage Festival 2022, organized by the Rural Entrepreneurship for Art and Cultural Heritage (REACH), is being held in Dehradun.
Rajasthan International Folk Festival 2022
• The 13th edition of the Rajasthan International Folk Festival 2022 was organized in Jodhpur.
Megha Kayak Festival, 2022
• The 5th edition of the ‘Megha Kayak Festival, 2022’ was held at the Umtrew River in
Umtham Village of Meghalaya.
Kati Bihu festival
• Kati Bihu festival, recently seen in the news, is celebrated mainly in Assam.
“SARANG” festival 2022
• The 8th edition of the “SARANG” festival 2022 was organized by the Embassy of India in South Korea.
• The word SARANG in Korean means ‘love’ and for Indians, it refers to ‘diversity representing different colours of India’.
Festival Current Affairs September 2022
• Bathukamma is a flower festival celebrated by women in Telangana and parts of Andhra Pradesh.
• Every year this festival is celebrated for nine days starting from Pitru Amavasya as per the Sathavahana calendar.
• Bathukamma is celebrated for nine days and coincides with the festival of Sarada Navratri and Durga Puja.
• Rosh Hashana is one of the most significant Jewish holidays.
• It represents the beginning of the Jewish New Year.
King Chilli (Raja Mircha) festival
• The first-of-its-kind Naga Mircha (Naga King Pepper) Festival 2022 in Nagaland was organized at Sayahama village under Kohima district.
• Nuakhai Juhar is an agricultural festival in India that marks the beginning of the new paddy season.
• The festival is mostly celebrated by the people of Western Odisha and South Chhattisgarh.
• Pulikkali means Leopard Dance.
• It is mainly celebrated in the state of Kerala, India.
• It is performed by trained artists to entertain people on the occasion of Onam, an annual harvest festival.
Festival Current Affairs August 2022
Shumang Leela Festival
• The 50th All Manipur Shumang Leela Festival 2021-2022 kicked off at Iboyaima Shumang Leela Shanglen at Palace Compound in Imphal.
• It is a traditional form of theatre in Manipur.
• In this festival, the roles of female artists are played by all male actors and the male characters are played by female artists in the case of female troupes.
Festival Current Affairs July 2022
Hareli Tihar festival
• This is a traditional farm festival celebrated in Chhattisgarh.
• Hareli marks the beginning of Shravan month.
• It is considered to be the first festival of Chhattisgarh.
• On this auspicious occasion, farmers worship their farm equipment and cows.
• Kharchi Puja is a tribal festival celebrated in Tripura.
• The literal meaning of Kharchi is – ‘cleaning of sins’
• In this festival, prayers are offered to 14 deities.
• Bonalu Festival is a Hindu festival where Goddess Mahakali is worshipped.
• This festival is usually celebrated during the Ashada Masam which falls in July or August.
• The festival is mainly celebrated in Telangana’s twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad and other parts of Telangana.
Festival Current Affairs June 2022
• Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, has inaugurated a “Mango Festival” in Brussels, Belgium.
• The mango festival is celebrated to raise awareness among Europeans and establish a market for Indian mangoes in Europe.
• The annual ancient Baikho festival, is celebrated in the month of June across the state of Assam.
• The festival is predominately celebrated by the Rabha tribes.
• The festival celebrated to bring abundant crops and good health
• The Rabha is a Tibeto-Burman agriculture-based community.
• Majority of the community lived in lower Assam, Garo hills and Door region in West Bengal.
• Union Minister of Science and Technology Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated the
• India’s First Lavender Festival started in Bhaderwah town in the Doda district of Jammu and Kashmir(J&K).
• The festival was inaugurated by Union Minister of Science and Technology Dr Jitendra Singh.
• CSIR-IIM introduced lavender farming in Jammu & Kashmir’s Rama, Doda, Kathua, Kishtwar, Rajouri, Udhampur, Pulwama, Kupwara, Anantnag, and Bandipora districts.
• CSIR–IIIM stands for Council of Scientific and Industrial Research–Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine.
Festival Current Affairs May 2022
Shirui Lily Festival
• The 4th edition of the Shirui Lily Festival began at Shirui village in Manipur’s Ukhrul district.
• The festival was inaugurated by the Governor of Manipur La. Ganesan along with the Chief Minister N. Biren Singh at Shirui Village Ground in Ukhrul district
• Shiri Lily or Lilium Mackliniae is the state flower of Manipur.
First Ever Bird Festival of Jammu and Kashmir
• The bird festival is celebrated to promote sustainable ecotourism and give impetus to nature-based alternative sources of livelihood for the local people.
• The festival is planned to be held in Pahalgam and Dachigam, Jammu and Kashmir.
Festival Current Affairs April 2022
• The annual festival Gangaur is celebrated from the 1st day of the month of Chaitra.
• The festival is consummated on the 3rd day of Shukla Paksha of the same month.
• The festival is mostly celebrated by the married women of Rajasthan.
• marks the worship of Goddess Gauri.
Nature Festival Sarhul
• The festival Sarhul, signifies the beginning of the New Year.
• It was celebrated in the state of Jharkhand.
• The verbal meaning of Sarhul is “worship of the Sal tree”.
• It is a three-day festival, which begins on the third day of ‘Chaitra’.
• It is a tribal festival which is celebrated by the Oraon, the Munda, and the Ho tribes of the Jharkhand region.
• Sarhul marks the advent of the spring season or “Phaagun” and is celebrated till the month of June or “Jeth”.
Festival Current Affairs March 2022
• Herath or the ‘Night of Hara(Shiva)’, generally known as Maha Shivratri.
• The festival is celebrated by the Kashmiri Pandits across Jammu and Kashmir(J&K).
• The festival marks the wedding of Lord Shiva with Goddess Parvati.
• The festival Dol Utsav is mainly celebrated by the people of West Bengal.
• The ‘Dol Utsav’ or ‘Dol Jatra’, marks the onset of the spring season.
• The festival is dedicated to Lord Krishna and Radha and celebrated on full moon day.
Festival Current Affairs February 2022
Spituk Gustor Festival 2022
• The Spituk Gustor Festival celebrated in Ladakh.
• It is a celebration of peace and prosperity.
• The festival is celebrated at the Spituk Monastery in Leh and Ladakh.
• The festival’s main attraction was the colourful mask dance locally called Chams.
• The colourful mask dance performed by the monks of
• The Torgya Festival begins in Arunachal Pradesh at Tawang Monastery.
• The three days long festivals celebrated by the Monpa tribal community of Arunachal Pradesh.
• The festival’s main attraction is the ‘Sha-na Cham’, the ritual dance performed by monks.
• Other popular dances are performed by artists including Fa Chan and Losjker Chungiye.
• The three-day-long “Mandu Festival” began at the historic town of Mandu in the Dhar district of Madhya Pradesh.
• This festival showcases each and every aspect of the ancient Mandu city, ranging from food, music, history heritage, art & craft etc.
Ancient Kanchoth festival
• The ancient Kanchoth festival is a symbol of ancient Nag culture.
• It was observed with religious fervour and gaiety across the Chenab valley region of Jammu and Kashmir.
• The festival is celebrated by locals, mainly Nag followers who believe that on this day of Gouri Tritiya, Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati got married and the latter insisted on a throne made of snow as her wedding gift.
• The Maru Mahotsav is celebrated at the Pokaran village in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan.
• The renowned Maru Mahotsav is also known as Jaisalmer Desert Festival.
• The four-day festival began with a colourful parade followed by Miss Pokaran and Mister Pokran competitions.
• It is held in the Hindu month of Magh (February) three days before the full moon.
• Various competitions, including Turban tying, Panihari Matka, Mehandi and Mandana competitions will be organised.
• Regional folk dances such as Kalbelia, Kachhi Ghodi, and Gair will be performed.
Medaram Jathara 2022
• The 2022 Medaram Jatara Festival is celebrated in Telangana.
• It is a four-day long festival celebrated by the Koya tribes.
• Koya tribes is the second-largest Tribal Community of Telangana.
• The Medaram Jathara is celebrated biennially (once in two years) in the month of February.
• The festival is celebrated to honour the Goddesses Sammakka and Saralamma, mother and daughter duo.
• The Medaram Jatara begins at Medaram in Tadvai Mandal in Mulugu District, Telangana
• Medaram is a remote place in the Eturnagaram Wildlife Sanctuary.
• It was declared a State Festival in 1998.
48th Khajuraho Dance Festival
• The 47th Khajuraho Dance Festival began in Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh.
• The first-day event is dedicated to Bharatanatyam performance by Geeta Chandran and her troupe and Kathak performance by Deepak Maharaj.
List of Indian Festival 2022 in January
• Annually celebrated across the Indian State of Sikkim.
• Losoong festival is celebrated as Sonam Losoong, by the Sikkimese Bhutia and as Namsoong by the Lepchas.
• It marks the beginning of the harvest season.
• The Namsoong festival begins on the 1st day of the new moon phase Kurneet Lovo.
North East Festival
• The 9th edition of the North East Festival was held in Guwahati, Assam.
• The Festival was inaugurated by Jagdish Mukhi, Governor of Assam.