Check out the latest Jnanpith Award Winners of 2019, 2020, and 2021. Read the full article for more interesting facts like a full list of winner, language which won the maximum Jnanpith award and many more about the award.
Latest Jnanpith Award winner
• Jnanpith Award is the oldest and the highest Indian literary award presented annually by the Bharatiya Jnanpith to an author for their “outstanding contribution towards literature”.
Question: Who has been conferred the 57th Jnanpith Award 2021?
Answer: Damodar Mauzo
• Eminent Konkani writer Damodar Mauzo has been conferred with 57th Jnanpith Award in 2021.
• Eminent Mauzo is the second Konkani writer to receive the highest literary award after Ravindra Kelekar.
• First ever Konkani writer who was awarded the Jnanpith award was Ravindra Kelekar, He won the 42nd Jnanpith award in 2006.
• The Jnanpith Award is presented annually by Bhartiya Jnanpith.
• Eminent Mauzo is a short story writer, novelist, columnist and screenplay writer.
• He won the Sahitya Akademi Award for his novel Karmelin 1983.
Notable works of Damodar Mauzo
|Short Fiction||Novels||Children’s Books||Biographical|
|Gathon (1971)||Sood (1975)||Ek Ashillo Babulo (1976)||Oshe Godle Shenoy Goembaab (2003)|
|Zagranna (1975)||Karmelin (1981)||Kani Eka Khomsachi (1977)||Unch Haves Unch Mathem (2003)|
|Rumad Ful (1989)||Tsunami Simon (2009)||Chittarangi (1995)||A Documentary film titled ‘Bhai Mauzo’ (2014)|
Jnanpith Award 2020 Winner
Question 2: Who owns the Jnanpith Award 2020?
Answer: Nilamani Phookan
• Nilmani Phookan is an Indian poet in the Assamese language.
• His notable works include Surya Henu Nami Ahe Ei Nodiyedi, Gulapi Jamur Lagna, and Kobita.
• He was awarded the 1981 Sahitya Akademi Award in Assamese for his poetry collection.
• He was awarded the Padma Shri by Government of India in 1990.
• Also, received the Sahitya Akademi Fellowship, the highest literary honor in India, India’s National Academy of Letters in 2002 for “the immortals of literature”.
• In 2019, he was awarded a D.Lit. by Dibrugarh University.
• So far, three Assamese writers have received the highest Indian literary Jnanpith Award, they Birendra Kumar Bhattacharya (15th Jnanpith Award, 1979), Mamoni Raisom Goswami (36th Jnanpith Award, 2000), and Nilamani Phookan (56th Jnanpith Award, 2020)
Jnanpith Award Winner 2019
Question 3: Who owns the Jnanpith Award 2019?
Answer: Akkitham Achuthan Namboothiri
• Akkitham Achuthan Namboothiri popularly known as Akkitham.
• He was a Malayalam poet and essayist who received the 55th Jnanpith award in 2019.
• Some of his eminent works included Irupatham Noottandinte Ithihasam (English: Epic of the 20th century), Balidarshanam (English: The vision of Bali), and Nimisha Kshetram (English: Holy moment).
• Notable awards received by Akkitham Achuthan Namboothiri
|Award / Honour||Year|
|Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award for Poetry||1972|
|Sahitya Akademi Award||1973|
|Lalitambika Sahitya Award||1996|
|O. N. V. Literary Award||2019|
Full list of Winner (1965 to 2021)
|1965 (1st)||G. Sankara Kurup||Malayalam|
|1966 (2nd)||Tarasankar Bandyopadhyay||Bengali|
|1967 (3rd)||Umashankar Joshi||Gujarati|
|1967 (3rd)||Kuppali Venkatappa Puttappa ‘Kuvempu’||Kannada|
|1968 (4th)||Sumitranandan Pant||Hindi|
|1969 (5th)||Firaq Gorakhpuri||Urdu|
|1970 (6th)||Viswanatha Satyanarayana||Telugu|
|1971 (7th)||Bishnu Dey||Bengali|
|1972 (8th)||Ramdhari Singh ‘Dinkar’||Hindi|
|1973 (9th)||D. R. Bendre||Kannada|
|1973 (9th)||Gopinath Mohanty||Odia|
|1974 (10th)||Vishnu Sakharam Khandekar||Marathi|
|1976 (12th)||Ashapoorna Devi||Bengali|
|1977 (13th)||K. Shivaram Karanth||Kannada|
|1978 (14th)||Sachchidananda Vatsyayan||Hindi|
|1979 (15th)||Birendra Kumar Bhattacharya||Assamese|
|1980 (16th)||S. K. Pottekkatt||Malayalam|
|1981 (17th)||Amrita Pritam||Punjabi|
|1982 (18th)||Mahadevi Varma||Hindi|
|1983 (19th)||Masti Venkatesha Iyengar||Kannada|
|1984 (20th)||Thakazhi Sivasankara Pillai||Malayalam|
|1985 (21st)||Pannalal Patel||Gujarati|
|1986 (22nd)||Sachidananda Routray||Odia|
|1987 (23rd)||Vishnu Vaman Shirwadkar ‘Kusumagraj’||Marathi|
|1988 (24th)||C. Narayana Reddy||Telugu|
|1989 (25th)||Qurratulain Hyder||Urdu|
|1990 (26th)||Vinayaka Krishna Gokak||Kannada|
|1991 (27th)||Subhash Mukhopadhyay||Bengali|
|1992 (28th)||Naresh Mehta||Hindi|
|1993 (29th)||Sitakant Mahapatra||Odia|
|1994 (30th)||U. R. Ananthamurthy||Kannada|
|1995 (31st)||M. T. Vasudevan Nair||Malayalam|
|1996 (32nd)||Mahasweta Devi||Bengali|
|1997 (33rd)||Ali Sardar Jafri||Urdu|
|1998 (34th)||Girish Karnad||Kannada|
|1999 (35th)||Nirmal Verma||Hindi|
|1999 (35th)||Gurdial Singh||Punjabi|
|2000 (36th)||Mamoni Raisom Goswami||Assamese|
|2001 (37th)||Rajendra Shah||Gujarati|
|2003 (39th)||Vinda Karandikar||Marathi|
|2004 (40th)||Rehman Rahi||Kashmiri|
|2005 (41st)||Kunwar Narayan||Hindi|
|2006 (42nd)||Ravindra Kelekar||Konkani|
|2006 (42nd)||Satya Vrat Shastri||Sanskrit|
|2007 (43rd)||O. N. V. Kurup||Malayalam|
|2008 (44th)||Akhlaq Mohammed Khan ‘Shahryar’||Urdu|
|2009 (45th)||Sri Lal Sukla||Hindi|
|2010 (46th)||Chandrashekhara Kambara||Kannada|
|2011 (47th)||Pratibha Ray||Odia|
|2012 (48th)||Ravuri Bharadhwaja||Telugu|
|2013 (49th)||Kedarnath Singh||Hindi|
|2014 (50th)||Bhalchandra Nemade||Marathi|
|2015 (51st)||Raghuveer Chaudhari||Gujarati|
|2016 (52nd)||Shankha Ghosh||Bengali|
|2017 (53rd)||Krishna Sobti||Hindi|
|2018 (54th)||Amitav Ghosh||English|
|2019 (55th)||Akkitham Achuthan Namboothiri||Malayalam|
|2020 (56th)||Nilamani Phookan||Assamese|
|2021 (57th)||Damodar Mauzo||Konkani|
To which language, have the maximum number of Janpath awards been awarded?
• The answer is Hindi, Total 11 Jnanpith award was given in Hindi language till 2021. Check out the below list.
Assamese – 3 times
Konkoni – 2 times
Malayalam – 6 times
Bengali – 6 times
English – 1 times
Gujarati – 4 times
Hindi – 11 times
Marathi – 4 times
Kannada – 8 times
Telugu – 3 times
Urdu – 4times
Odia – 4 times
• From the above list we can see that the Jnanpith award was given only one time in English till 2021.
• Amitav Ghosh is the winner of the 54th Jnanpith award in the year 2018 in English language.
Frequently Asked Questions
Answer: Eminent Konkani writer Damodar Mauzo has been conferred with 57th Jnanpith Award in 2021.
Answer: Nilamani Phookan has been conferred with 56th Jnanpith Award in 2020.
Answer: G. Sankara Kurup (in 1965)
Answer: Most of the Jnanpith awards has been given in Hindi language till 2021.
The Jnanpith award was given only one time in English till 2021. Amitav Ghosh is the winner of the 54th Jnanpith award in the year 2018 in English language.
Answer: Jnanpith Award is the oldest and the highest Indian literary award presented annually by the Bharatiya Jnanpith to an author for their “outstanding contribution towards literature”.