• As reported by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, India is the second largest producer of Fruits, as well as Vegetables.
• China is the largest producer of fruits and vegetables .
• Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Odisha are the leading Vegetables producing States of India.
• The main exports include onions, mango pulp, fresh mangoes, dried walnuts and fresh grapes.
• According to the crop of 2021-22 (July-June), Uttar Pradesh has become India’s largest vegetable producers, whereas West Bengal is in second position in terms of production of vegetables.
• Indias’s horticulture output is decreased by 0.4% to 333.25 Mt in 2021-22 from the previous year (2020-21).
• This crop year (2021-22) showed the declination of production of vegetables, Spices and plantation crops.
Top Vegetable producing states
• Vegetable production in Uttar Pradesh is estimated to be 29.58, million tonnes (Mt) in the 2021-22 crop year (July-June), while West Bengal produces 28.23 Mt of vegetables in 2021-22.
• Last year, West Bengal was the largest vegetable producer in India. In 2020-21, the total production of West Bengal was produced 30.33 million tonnes of vegetables.
• Other top producer of vegetables as per the data in the current year 2021-22 include Madhya Pradesh at 20.59 Mt, Bihar at 17.77 Mt and Maharashtra at 16.78 Mt.
Top 3 States in Vegetable Production for the FY2021-22
|Rank||State||Production in Crop year 2021-22|