Here is the list of Major Seaports in India. Currently as per official site we have 12 major ports and 200 minor ports. This 12 major and 200 minor ports situated along the 7516 Km long coastline of India. Here we provide previously asked questions and also add top gk questions on major ports of India.
• There are 12 major ports and 200 non-major ports (minor ports) in the country.
• While the Major Ports are under the administrative control of Ministry of Shipping,
• The non-major ports are under the jurisdiction of respective State Maritime Boards/ State Government.
• All the 12 Major ports are functional.
• Out of the 200 non-major ports, around 65 ports are handled cargo and the others are “Port Limits” where no cargo is handled and these are used by fishing vessels and by small ferries to carry passengers across the creeks etc.
• The total 200 major and non-major ports are present in the following States-
Gujarat – 40
Tamil Nadu – 15
Karnataka – 10 and others -82
• According to the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways, around 95 per cent of India’s trading by volume and 70 per cent by value is done through maritime transport.
• Previously India has 13 major ports including Port Blair port, located in Andaman and Nicobar island.
• Due to lack of container traffic, Port Blair lost its ‘major port’ tag.
• Government of India plans to modernise these ports and has approved a project called Sagarmala
• The Indian Government has allowed Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) of up to 100 percent under the automatic route for port and harbour construction and maintenance projects.
List of Major Sea Ports in India
|Sl. No||Port Name||State|
|Ports located on The Eastern Coast of India|
|1||Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port
|2.||Haldia Port||West Bengal|
|4.||Visakhapatnam Port||Andhra Pradesh|
|6.||Chennai Port||Tamil Nadu|
|7.||V.O Chidambaranar Port
|Ports located on the Western Coast of India|
|9.||New Mangalore Port||Karnataka|
|12.||Jawaharlal Nehru Port
Important points about Major Sea Ports in India
► Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port
• Kolkata Port is officially known as Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port.
• It is the only riverine port of India located on the left bank of Hooghlyriver.
• Kolkata port handles goods coming from South-East Asian countries, Australia and New Zealand.
• Kolkata port is called the ‘Gateway to Eastern India’.
• Major exporting items include Jute products, tea, coal, steel, iron ore, copper, leather and leather products etc.
• Major import consists mainly of machinery, crude oil, paper, fertilizers and chemical products.
• The port has two distinct dock systems _
• Kolkata Docks in Kolkata.
• It has deep water dock complex at Haldia Dock Complex.
• It has a massive hinterland comprising the whole North East of India, including West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Assam, North East Hill States and two landlocked neighbouring countries, Nepal and Bhutan.
► Haldia Dock Complex
• Haldia port Built at the confluence of rivers Hoogly and Haldi.
• Its main purpose is to release congestion at Kolkata port.
• The main items of trade are mineral oil and petroleum products.
► Paradip Port
• Paradip port is founded by Late Biju Patnaik, the then Chief Minister of Odisha.
• Paradip Port is the sole Principal Port in the State of Odisha.
• It is a natural, deep-water port located on the eastern coast of India, Jagatsinghpur district of Odisha.
• On 1stJune, 1965 , Government of India acquired the management of the Port of the Government of Odisha on 1st June 1965.
• On 18th April 1966, It was declared the 8th major port of India by the government of India.
• It has a vast hinterland, it covers the states of Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.
• Paradip Port has the advantages of soft underwater soil, that is why it can be operated at any depth by cut out the soft soil easily according to need.
► Visakhapatnam Port
• Visakhapatnam Port is the largest port on the eastern coast of India, Andhra Pradesh.
• By volume of cargo handled, It is India’s third largest state-owned port and the largest in the
• Visakhapatnam port was an ancient Port city which had trade relations with the Middle East and Rome.
► Kamarajar Port
• It is formerly known as Ennore Port.
• Kamarajar Port located on the Coromandel Coast, Chennai
• Kamarajar Port is the 12th major port of India.
• It is the first public company port in India.
► Chennai Port
• Chennai Port is the third oldest key port among the 13 major ports in India.
• Earlier the Chennai Port was known as Madras Port.
• After Mumbai’s Nhava Sheva port, It is the second largest container port of India.
• It is an all-weather artificial port with wet docks.
► V. O. Chidambaram Port
• V. O. Chidambaram Port is the second largest port in Tamil Nadu and third largest container terminal in India.
• It is an artificial port.
• Strategically located very close to the East-West International Sea-Route.
• It has services to USA, China, Europe, Sri Lanka and Mediterranean countries.
► Cochin Port
• It is also the first transshipment port in India.
• The port spread over two islands in the Kochi lake,they are Willingdon Island and Vallarpadam island.
► New Mangalore Port
• The New Mangallore port is the only major port of the states of Karnataka.
• It was declared as the 9th Major Port on 4th May 1974.
• The major commodities imported through the Port are Cement, coal, fertilizer, edible oil,
liquid chemicals, containerized cargo etc.
• Hinterland of New Mangaore Port lies in Karnataka and northern part of Kerala.
• Its main importance lies in export of iron ore from the Kudremykh mines.
► Marmagao Port
• With the emergence of mining of Iron ore as a major industry in Goa, a Master Plan was evolved by the Portuguese for the development of Mormugao Port as an iron ore terminal.
• The port, located at the entrance of Zuvari estuary.
• Major items of exports are iron ore, Manganese, Coconut and Cotton.
• It has a comparatively small hinterland covering the whole of Goa and parts of north Karnataka and southern Maharashtra.
• This port is well connected through Konkan Railway.
► Mumbai Port
• Mumbai port is a Natural harbour on the West Coast of India.
• It is considered as the biggest port of India.
• It handles foreign trade with the Western countries and East African countries.
• It has a vast hinterland covering the whole of Maharashtra and large parts of Madhya
Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Delhi.
► Jawaharlal Nehru Port
• Jawaharlal Nehru Port is formerly known as Nhava Sheva port.
• This new port has been built on an island named Nhava Sheva across the famous Elephanta caves.
• The main purpose of this port is to release pressure on the Mumbai Port.
• Nhava Sheva Port is considered as the largest container port in India.
► Deendayal Port
• Formerly known as Kandala Port.
• Deendayal is a seaport located on the Gulf of Kutch, Kutch district , Gujarat.
• The Kandla Port was built in the 1950.
• First export processing port in India.
• It is a natural harbour in Kandala creek.
• Kandla port built for serving Western India, due to the partition of India leaving the port of
Karachi in Pakistan.
• The first special economic zone to be established in India and in Asia is the Kandla port
Special Economic Zone (KASEZ).
• Kandla port is the first Export Processing region/ Zone in India.
• Hinterland of kandala port covers the maximum portion of Gujarat, Rajasthan, Haryana, Punjab,
Delhi, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu Kashmir, Uttarakhand and Ladakh.
• Major imported products from Kandla Port are petroleum, chemical substances, and iron and steel and iron machinery, but it also handles salt, textiles, and grain.
Previous Year Questions on Major sea Ports in India
1. Which of the following industries are the major beneficiaries of the Mumbai port?
A. Iron and Steel industry
B. Sugar and Cotton textile industry
C. Cotton textile and Petrochemical industry
D. Engineering and Fertilizer industry
(SSC Tax Assistant (Income Tax & Central Excise Exam. 12.11.2006)
• Answer:- C
2. Kudremukh Iron-ore is exported from these two ports
A. Kandla and Mumbai
B. Marmugoa and Mangalore
C. Kochi and Tuticorin
D. Paradip and Kolkata
(SSC Combined Matric Level (PRE) Exam. 05.05.2002 (Ist Sitting) (North Zone, Delhi)
• Answer:- B
3. Which is a port in India having a free trade zone?
(SSC Combined Matric Level (PRE)
Exam. 05.05.2002 (IInd Sitting) (North Zone, Delhi)
• Answer:- Kandala
4. Which of the following ports has the largest hinterland?
(SSC Section Officer (Commercial Audit)
Exam. 30.09.2007 (Second Sitting)
• Answer :- C
5. Which one of the following is a major port on the East Coast of India ?
D. Pondicherry (Puducherry) (SSC CPO (SI, ASI & Intelligence Officer) Exam. 28.08.2011
6. Which one of the following ports is located on the eastern coast of India?
(SSC Combined Matric Level (PRE) Exam. 27.05.2001 (IInd Sitting) (East Zone)
• Answer:- D
7. Which of the following is an inland river port?
(SSC Combined Matric Level (PRE) Exam. 05.05.2002 (IInd Sitting) (North Zone, Delhi)
• Answer:- A
8. The ports located along the eastern coast of India are
A. Kandla and Haldia
B. Haldia arid Cochin
C. Paradeep and Kandla
D. Paradeep and Haldia
(SSC Stenographer (Grade ‘C’ & ‘D’) Exam. 26.09.2010)
• Answer:- D
9. Which is the artificial port of India?
C. Chennai or Madras
(SSC (10+2) Level Data Entry Operator & LDC Exam. 11.12.2011)
• Answer:- C
10. How many major sea ports are there in India ?
(SSC (10+2) Level Data Entry Operator & LDC Exam. 11.12.2011 )
• Answer – D
11. The Jawaharlal Nehru Port is located at
(SSC CHSL (10+2) DEO & LDC Exam. 02.11.2014)
• Answer:- C
12. Which of the following is the busiest International sea port in India?
(SSC CGL Tier-I , 06.09.2016)
• Answer:- A
13. Match the following Sea Ports
2. Tamil Nadu
4. Andhra Pradesh
…..a b c d
A. 1 3 4 2
B. 4 3 2 1
C. 3 1 4 2
D. 2 4 1 3
(SSC CPO Sub-Inspector Exam. 06.09.2009)
• Answer:- C
GK on Major Sea Ports in India
1. The Oldest Port in India among the major ports in India?
Answer – Kolkata Port
2. At present India has how many Major Ports?
• Answer – 12
• Port Blair was notified as a major port in 2010 but was removed of its status recently
3. World’s largest ship graveyard.?
• Answer – Alang-Sosiya Ship Breaking Yard (Gujarat)
4. Jawaharlal Nehru Port (JNPT) formerly known as ?
• Answer – Nhava Sheva
5. Which port has the largest hinterland in India?
• Answer – Jawaharlal Nehru Port (JNPT)
6. Which is a port in India having a free trade zone?
• Answer – Kandla Port
7. Deepest Port in India?
• Answer – Gangavaram Port
• Location – Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
8. Largest Container Port in India?
• Answer -Mundra Port
• Recently Mundra Port has overtaken state-run Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) to become
the country’s largest container gateway by handling 5.65 million twenty-foot equivalent units
(TEUs) in FY21, posting a growth of 18 per cent compared to last year.
9. Second largest Container Port in India?
• Answer – Chennai Port
10. Second Largest Port in India?
• Answer – Chennai Port
11. Largest Natural Port in India?
• Answer – Mumbai Port
12. Largest Artificial Port in India?
• Answer – Jawaharlal Nehru Port (JNPT) or Nhava Sheva
13. Largest Port in India by volume of cargo handled?
• Answer – Deendayal port or Kandla Port
• At the end of the fiscal year 2020, the total volume of cargo handled at the Deendayal port
in India was more than 120 million metric tons
14. India’s Largest Port by size and shipping traffic?
•Answer – Mumbai Port
15. India’s largest Commercial Port?
Answer: Mundra Port
16. Largest Port on the East Coast?
Answer: Chennai Port
17. Second Busiest Port in India after Jawaharlal Nehru Port?
Answer- Chennai Port
18. The most Busiest Port of Indian Ocean?
Answer: Port of Singapore
19. Largest Private Port of India?
Answer- Mundra Port
Explanation -The Port is located on the north shores of the Gulf of Kutch near Mundra,
20. First in Asia to recognize the effectiveness of the Export Processing Zone (EPZ)?
Answer- Kandla Special Economic Zone, India in 1965
21. Which Indian Port handles export of iron and aluminium to South-East Asian countries?
Answer – Haldia Port and Kolkata Port
22. The port in India that is also called as “World-class international container handling port”?
Answer – Jawaharlal Nehru Port (JNPT)
23. Which organization provides integrated dredging services to the Major Port in India?
Answer: Dredging Corporation of India Limited
Explanation: It was established in the year 1976 to provide dredging services to the Major Ports in India.
24. Which Port is renamed after the First Prime Minister of India?
Answer – Nhava Sheva
25. When was Indian Maritime University (IMU) set up?
Answer- 14 November 2008
• Headquarters – Chennai
• It has six campuses in Chennai, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai Port, Navi Mumbai, and
26. First Port built after independence of India?
Answer – Kandla Port
• Kandla Port was constructed in the 1950s as the chief seaport serving Western India, due to the partition of India leaving the port of Karachi in Pakistan.
27. When was the Jawaharlal Nehru Port (JNPT) built?
Answer – May 26, 1989
28. First Major Port on the east coast?
Answer – Paradip Port (12 March 1966)
29. Which Port was earlier known as Madras Port?
Answer – Chennai Port
30. Only Riverine Port of India?
Answer – Kolkata Port
31. Official Name of Kolkata Port?
Answer – Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port
• PM Modi renames Kolkata Port Trust after Bharatiya Jana Sangh founder Shyama Prasad
32. India’s first Port Trust Board was established for?
Answer – Calcutta Port in 1870.
33. Largest shipbuilding and maintenance facility in India.?
Answer – Cochin Shipyard Ltd.
34. Which port was upgraded in the Fourth five year plan to accommodate larger ships?
Answer – New Mangalore Port.
35. India’s first corporate port?
Answer – Ennore port (Kamarajar Port)
36. The primary exporting item of Vishakapatnam port is?
Answer – Iron ore
37. Deepest land locked and protected port in Inidia?
Answer – Visakhapatnam
38. Which port is a part of the Kaladan Multimdel Project?
Answer – Kolkata
39. Which state comes under the hinterland of more than 3 Major ports in India?
Answer – Madhya Pradesh
40. The main purpose of the port Tuticorin (V. O. Chidambaram port) is?
Answer – to carry trade with Sri Lanka