The year 2023 is shaping up to be a busy one for major projects. There are many exciting developments underway in the fields of infrastructure, technology, and sustainability.
In this blog post, we will take a look at some of the most notable projects that are making headlines in 2023. We will also discuss the impact that these projects will have on the Indian economy and society.
So, without further ado, let’s get started!
Major Projects in News August 2023
▪ Tamil Nadu and the UK have signed an agreement to build a botanical garden near Chennai, as well as to start a project to protect mangroves, forests, and wetlands. They have also released a green rating system for industrial decarbonization.
▪ Devika River rejuvenation project nearing completion in Jammu and Kashmir
▪ India gives Rs 45 crore in advance to Sri Lanka for its digital identity project
▪ Union Cabinet approves Rs 1.39 lakh crore for BharatNet modernization
▪ India announces USD 700,000 support to Tuvalu for Motufoua concrete water cistern project
▪ Union Ministry of Home Affairs approves Rs 561 crore for integrated urban flood management project in Chennai
▪ Union Minister R. K. Singh inaugurates 660 MW unit of NTPC’s Barh Super Thermal Power Project in Bihar
▪ Union Cabinet approves extension of Digital India project with an outlay of Rs 14,903 crore to reskill and upskill 6.25 lakh IT professionals in the next 5 years
▪ Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship launches “Project AMBER”
▪ National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) develops India’s own blockchain-backed open-source project “Falcon”
Major Projects in News July 2023
▪ Indian Bank has partnered with NeSL for the e-BG service under Project WAVE. e-BG stands for Electronic Bank Guarantee. It is a digital guarantee that can be used in place of a physical guarantee. The project aims to reduce the time and cost involved in issuing and processing bank guarantees.
▪ The foundation stone for the EKAMRA project was laid in Odisha. EKAMRA stands for Efficient, Knowledgeable, Accountable, Responsive, and Measurable Administration. It is a project to improve the efficiency of the government administration in Odisha.
▪ The Kaleshwaram lift irrigation project in Telangana is built across the Godavari River. It is the largest lift irrigation project in India. The project aims to irrigate an area of 18.25 lakh hectares and provide drinking water to 100 villages.
▪ India’s first Cannabis Medicine Project is being implemented in Jammu and Kashmir. The project aims to use cannabis to develop medicines for the treatment of various diseases.
▪ The “Saagu Baagu” project is being implemented by Telangana. Saagu Baagu means “Let’s Plant Trees” in Telugu. The project aims to plant trees in Telangana to improve the environment.
▪ Sam Altman (CEO of Open AI) is the founder of the recently launched cryptocurrency project “Worldcoin.” Worldcoin is a project to create a global cryptocurrency that is accessible to everyone.
Major Projects in News June 2023
▪ ANERT Solar City Project in Thiruvananthapuram, India aims to make the city carbon neutral by 2030. The project will install solar panels on government buildings and public places to generate clean energy.
▪ The Sakhalin-1 project in Russia is an oil and gas development project. The project is located on Sakhalin Island in the Russian Far East.
▪ MeitY Electronics Repair Services Outsourcing (ERSO) pilot project in Bengaluru, India aims to promote the growth of the electronics repair and refurbishment industry. The project will provide training to electronics repair technicians and help them to set up their own businesses.
▪ SBI Project Kuber in Bengaluru, India is a digital banking initiative for senior citizens. The project will provide digital banking services to senior citizens who are not familiar with online banking.
▪ The Mekedatu drinking water and balancing reservoir project in Karnataka, India aims to provide drinking water to Bengaluru and other parts of the state. The project will also help to improve the water supply in the Cauvery River basin.
▪ Japan, Australia, and the USA have announced a joint venture for the establishment of a USD 95 million undersea cable project, which will connect East Micronesia Island nations. The project will provide high-speed internet connectivity to the island nations.
▪ The Polavaram irrigation project in Andhra Pradesh, India is built over the Godavari River. The project will irrigate an area of 10 lakh hectares and provide drinking water to 50 lakh people.
▪ Devanakom Charuharitham (Beautiful Green Abodes of God) project in Kerala, India aims to make the state’s temples more eco-friendly. The project will plant trees and install solar panels in temples to reduce their carbon footprint.
▪ Israel has successfully completed the proof-of-concept phase of the world’s first digital government bond, under its initiative “Project Eden”. The project will use blockchain technology to issue and track government bonds.
▪ Nutri Garden Project in Lakshadweep Islands, India is a school gardening initiative to promote nutrition and food security. The project will provide training to school children on how to grow vegetables and fruits.
▪ Gabon is the first country in Africa to have an Agri-SEZ (Special Economic Zone) project. The project will focus on the development of the agricultural sector in Gabon.
▪ India has ranked first in LEED Zero green building projects. LEED Zero is a rating system for green buildings that are designed to have zero net energy consumption.
▪ The Kalasa-Banduri project in Karnataka, India is a proposed irrigation project. The project will divert water from the Mahadayi River to the Malaprabha River to provide drinking water to the people of North Karnataka.
Major Projects in News May 2023
▪ Project Sanjay is a project launched by the Indian Army to deploy a Battlefield Surveillance System. It is expected to be fully deployed by 2025.
▪ The Him Parivar project is a digital identity project by the Himachal Pradesh government. This will help the government to better target social welfare schemes and improve the delivery of services.
▪ Khumjung Khunde Waste Water Management Project is a wastewater management project in Nepal. It aims to improve sanitation and hygiene in the Khumjung and Khunde villages in Nepal.
▪ ASTR is an AI and facial recognition-powered solution for telecom SIM subscriber verification by the DoT. Its pilot project was launched in Haryana. This will help to prevent the misuse of SIM cards by criminals and terrorists. ASTR stands for Artificial Intelligence and Facial Recognition powered Solution for Telecom SIM Subscriber Verification
▪ The Isaac River coal mine project is in Australia. It is a controversial project that has been opposed by environmental groups. The project is expected to generate significant greenhouse gas emissions.
▪ The Changathi literacy project is an initiative of the Kerala government. It is an initiative to improve literacy rates in Changathi, a tribal area in Kerala.
▪ Route of Development is a $17 billion project launched by Iraq. It is a mega infrastructure project that will connect Iraq’s major cities. The project is expected to boost economic growth and create jobs.
Major Projects in News April 2023
▪ The LIGO-India project has been approved for Rs 2,600 crore. It will be set up in Maharashtra.
LIGO-India is a gravitational wave observatory that will be set up in Maharashtra. It is a joint project of the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay and Bhabha Atomic Research Centre. The project is expected to be completed by 2025.
▪ Project Sanjeevani has been launched by Himachal Pradesh for livestock healthcare. The project aims to provide free veterinary services to livestock farmers in the state.
▪ Genome India Project (GIP) aims to sequence 10,000 genomes by the end of 2023.
Genome India Project (GIP) is a genomics research project that is being implemented by the Department of Biotechnology. The project aims to sequence 10,000 genomes of Indians by the end of 2023.
▪ Tulsi Ghat Restoration Project of Varanasi has been launched by External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar in Uganda. Tulsi Ghat Restoration Project is a project to restore the Tulsi Ghat in Varanasi, India. The project is being funded by the Indian government and the government of Uganda.
▪ The Language Friendship Bridge project has been announced by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR). It is a cultural exchange program that is being organized by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR). The project aims to promote the learning of Indian languages in foreign countries.
▪ One Panchayat, One Playground project has been launched by Kerala. The project aims to provide a playground in every panchayat (local government unit) in the state.
▪ Safe City Project is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Home Affairs and the Ministry of Women and Child Development. The project aims to improve the safety of women and children in the city.
▪ The Vibrant Villages Programme (VVP) is being implemented in 5 states and union territories. The program aims to improve the quality of life in rural areas.
▪ Project Bhamragad has been launched by Maharashtra under which an artificial intelligence-based machine is installed in schools to check food quality. The project aims to ensure the quality of food served in schools in the state.
Major Projects in News March 2023
▪ India has extended grant assistance of Rs 2 billion for the Gyalsung Infra Project in Bhutan. The project aims to improve road connectivity in Bhutan and promote sustainable development.
▪ Denmark has inaugurated the “Greensand” project to store carbon dioxide. The project is the first in the world to bury CO2 imported from abroad.
▪ NTPC Limited has commissioned a first-of-its-kind commercial green coal project in Varanasi. The project uses supercritical technology to generate electricity with lower emissions.
▪ Kasanoi Erappila Thittam (TB death-free project) has achieved a significant reduction in the number of early TB deaths in Tamil Nadu. The project provides free diagnosis and treatment for TB patients.
▪ The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change has announced the completion of the DNA profiling of 270 elephants under the “Project Elephant”. The project was launched in 1992 to protect the endangered Asian elephant population.
▪ The Ministry of Defence has signed a contract with Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) for the procurement of two Integrated Electronic Warfare Systems under “Project Himshakti”. The project aims to develop and deploy advanced electronic warfare systems for the Indian armed forces.
▪ The Aravalli Green Wall Project has been launched in Haryana. The project aims to plant trees and shrubs along the Aravalli hills to improve the environment and prevent soil erosion. The project will cover four states and union territories: Haryana, Rajasthan, Delhi, and Uttar Pradesh.
▪ The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has approved a Rs. 180 crore electronics manufacturing cluster project in Dharwad, Karnataka. The project aims to attract investments in the electronics manufacturing sector and create jobs.
▪ Renaatus Projects (Chennai) has won a USD 29 million (₹238 crore) contract to expand and upgrade the infrastructure of Gan International Airport in the Maldives. The project includes the construction of a new terminal building, runway extension, and other facilities.
▪ The Ministry of Defence has signed an agreement with Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) for the procurement of the Automated Air Defence Control & Reporting System “Project Akashteer”. The project aims to develop and deploy an automated air defense system for the Indian armed forces.
Major Projects in News February 2023
▪ Project ELLORA (Enabling Low Resource Languages) was launched by Microsoft in India in 2015. The project aims to develop digital resources for low-resource languages in India, such as Gondi, Mundari, and Khasi.
▪ The Upper Bhadra irrigation project is being developed in Karnataka at a cost of Rs 5,300 crore. The project will irrigate an area of 1.25 lakh hectares and provide drinking water to 100 villages.
▪ The Tumakuru Industrial Township project is being developed in Karnataka at a cost of Rs 20,000 crore. The project will create employment for 1 lakh people and generate revenue of Rs 10,000 crore annually.
▪ The Eastern Canal Project is being implemented in Rajasthan at a cost of Rs 13,000 crore. The project will provide irrigation to an area of 18 lakh hectares and benefit about 20 lakh people.
▪ The Shinku La tunnel is being constructed in Ladakh by the Border Roads Organization (BRO) under Project Yojak. The tunnel will provide all-weather connectivity between the Leh and Nubra Valleys.
▪ The Sensor-based Smart Agriculture project has been approved by the Jammu and Kashmir government. The project will use sensors to collect data on soil moisture, crop health, and weather conditions. This data will be used to improve agricultural productivity.
▪ The Mukaab is an indoor supercity project that has been unveiled by Saudi Arabia. The project will be built in Riyadh and will have a capacity to accommodate 1.5 million people.
Major Projects in News January 2023
▪ The Kalasa-Banduri drinking water project has been approved by the Union Government in Karnataka. The project aims to divert water from the Mahadayi/Mandovi River to the Malaprabha River to provide drinking water to the people of North Karnataka.
▪ India’s first green hydrogen blending project has been commissioned in the piped natural gas (PNG) network of NTPC Kawas township in Gujarat. The project uses renewable energy to produce green hydrogen, which is then blended with natural gas to reduce emissions.
▪ The Sethusamudram Project is a proposed shipping canal project to connect the Gulf of Mannar with the Palk Strait. The project would reduce the distance between India and Sri Lanka and would also help to improve navigation in the region.
▪ The India-Bangladesh Friendship Pipeline Project is a 131.5 km long pipeline that will supply diesel from India to Bangladesh. The project is expected to start operations in June 2023.
▪ The ground-breaking ceremony of the Hanimaadhoo International Airport redevelopment project was held in the Maldives. The project will expand and upgrade the airport to make it a major regional hub.
▪ The Punjab government has launched the “School of Eminence” project to set up world-class universities in the state. The first School of Eminence will be set up in Amritsar.
▪ The Jammu and Kashmir government has launched the “UT Level Food Processing Programme for Development of Clusters for Specific Products”. The project aims to promote food processing in the region and create jobs.
▪ The Ken-Betwa Link Project (KBLP) is a proposed interlinking of rivers project that will link the Ken and Betwa rivers in Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. The project will help to improve water availability in the region and will also help to reduce floods and droughts.
▪ Woxsen University has launched Project Aspiration to empower adolescent girls in Telangana. The project will provide education, skills training, and other support to girls to help them achieve their full potential.