“Awards and Honours” is an important subtopic under current affairs. This subtopic is important for any competitive exam like SSC, RRB NTPC, Banking, and other state PSC exams. This article provides a complete list of Nobel Prize Winner 2021 with additional information.
• The Nobel Prize is named after the Swedish chemist Sir Alfred Nobel.
• The Nobel Prizes are awarded in five fields, physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature and peace.
• In 1978 the Swedish central bank Sveriges Riksbank established the Prize in Economic Sciences in memory of Sir Alfred Nobel.
• The Nobel Prize was first awarded in 1901.
• The Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences, beginning in 1969.
About Alfred Nobel
• Alfred Nobel was a Swedish chemist, engineer, and industrialist.
• He is famous as the discoverer of dynamite.
• He died in 1896.
• In his will, he bequeathed all his “remaining recoverable assets” which were used to establish the five prizes which became known as the “Nobel Prizes”.
About Prize Money
• The Nobel Prize ceremony is held every year
• Each Nobel Prize Winner receives a gold medal, a diploma and a monetary award.
• The Nobel Prize amount for 2021 is set at Swedish kronor (SEK) 10 million or $ 1143878 per full Nobel Prize.
• An award cannot be shared between more than three individuals.
• Although more than three organizations can be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
List of 2021 Nobel laureates
Nobel Prize in Physics 2021
❒ This year’s Nobel Prize in Physics is awarded one half jointly to _
◘ Syukuro Manabe, Klaus Hasselmann
• “for the physical modeling of the Earth’s climate, quantifying variability and reliably predicting global warming”
◘ Giorgio Parisi
• “for the discovery of the interplay of disorder and fluctuations in physical systems from atomic to planetary scales”.
Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2021
❒ The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2021 is awarded to _
◘ Benjamin List and David MacMillan
• “for the development of asymmetric organocatalysis”.
Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2021
❒ The 2021 Nobel prize in Physiology or Medicine awarded to _
◘ David Julius and Ardem Patapoutian
• “for their discoveries of receptors for temperature and touch”.
Nobel Prize in Literature 2021
❒ The Nobel Prize in Literature for 2021 is awarded to the novelist _
◘ Abdulrazak Gurnah
• “for his uncompromising and compassionate penetration of the effects of colonialism and the fate of the refugee in the gulf between cultures and continents.”
Nobel Peace Prize 2021
❒ The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided to award the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize to_
◘ Maria Ressa and Dmitry Muratov
• “for their efforts to safeguard freedom of expression, which is a precondition for democracy and lasting peace.”
Nobel Prize in Economic sciences 2021
❒ The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has decided to award the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2021 to-
◘ David Card
• “for his empirical contributions to labour economics”
◘ Joshua Angrist and Guido Imbens
• “for their methodological contributions to the analysis of causal relationships”
Nobel Prize Facts
Multiple Nobel Prize laureates
• The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has won the Nobel Peace Prize three times.
• Linus Pauling is the only person to have received two unopposed Nobel Prizes – the 1954 Nobel Prize in Chemistry and the 1962 Nobel Peace Prize.
|J. Bardeen||M. Curie||L. Pauling|
Nobel Prize-awarded couples
Edvard I. Moser
Youngest and Oldest Nobel laureate
Youngest chemistry laureate – Frederic Joliot (35)
Youngest physics laureate – Lawrence Bragg (25)
Youngest medicine laureate – Frederick G. Banting (232)
Youngest literature laureate – Rudyard Kipling (41)
Youngest peace laureate – Malala Yousafzai (17)
Youngest economic sciences laureate – Esther Duflo (46)
Oldest chemistry laureate – John B. Goodenough (97)
Oldest physics laureate- Arthur Ashkin (96)
Oldest medicine laureate – Peyton Rous (87)
Oldest literature laureate – Doris Lessing (88)
Oldest peace laureate – Joseph Rotblat (87)
Oldest economic sciences laureate – Leonid Hurwicz (90)
List of Important Nobel laureate [Name – Year – Discoveries]
• Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen – 1901 – Rontgen Ray or X-ray.
• Antoine Henri Becquerel – 1903 – Spontaneous radioactivity
• Marie and Pierre Curie – 1903 – Polonium and Radium
• Joseph John Thomson – 1906 -Electron
• James Chadwick – 1935 – Neutron
• Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman – 1930 – Raman Effect
• Louis de Broglie – 1929 – wave nature of electrons
• Albert Einstein – 1921 – Photoelectric effect
• Sir William Ramsay – 1904 – discovery of noble gases
• Fritz Haber – 1918 – Synthesis of ammonia
• Harold Clayton Urey – 1934 – Heavy hydrogen
• Victor Grignard – 1912 – Grignard reagent
• Eduard Buchner -1907 -cell-free fermentation
• Harvey J. Alter, Michael Houghton and Charles M. Rice – 2020 – Hepatitis C virus
• Selman Abraham Waksman – 1952 – Streptomycin
• Sir Alexander Fleming – 1945 – Penicillin.
• Henrik Carl Peter Dam – 1943 – Vitamin K
• Karl Landsteiner – 1930 – Human blood groups
• Frederick Grant Banting and John James Rickard Macleod – 1923 – Insulin
Source – Nobel Prize Official Website
List of Indian Nobel Prize Winner
Citizens of British India
|Rabindranath Tagore||1913||Literature||“Because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West”|
|C.V Raman||1930||Physics||“For his work on the scattering of light and for the discovery of the effect named after him”|
Citizens of the Republic of India
|Mother Teresa||1979||Peace||“In recognition of [her] work in bringing help to suffering humanity”|
|Amartya Sen||1998||Economics||“For his contributions to welfare economics”|
|Kailash Satyarthi||2014||Peace||“For their struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education”|
Overseas citizens of Indian origin
|Har Gobind Khorana||1968||Physiology or Medicine||“For their interpretation of the genetic code and its function in protein synthesis”|
|Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar||1983||Physics||“For his theoretical studies of the physical processes of importance to the structure and evolution of the stars”|
|Venki Ramakrishnan||2009||Chemistry||“For Structure and function of the ribosome, macromolecular crystallography”|
|Abhijit Banerjee||2019||Economics||“For their experimental approach to alleviating global poverty”|
Indian Nobel Laureates of foreign origin
|Ronald Ross||1902||Physiology or Medicine||“For his work on malaria, by which he has shown how it enters the organism and thereby has laid the foundation for successful research on this disease and methods of combating it”|
|Rudyard Kipling||1907||Literature||“In consideration of the power of observation, originality of imagination, virility of ideas and remarkable talent for narration which characterize the creations of this world-famous author”|
|14th Dalai Lama||1989||Peace||“For his consistent resistance to the use of violence in his people’s struggle to regain their liberty”|