India is the second-most populous country in the world after China, also India is the seventh-largest country in the world. There are 28 states and 8 Union territories in our country India. In this article, we have provided the latest list of States and Union Territories of India 2022 with their capital and formation dates.
States and Union Territories of India 2022
Here is the updated list of “States and Capital” & “Union Territories of India and their capitals” with their formation date.
◘ India is a country located in South Asia.
◘ It is the second-most populous country after China.
◘ And the seventh-largest country by land area.
◘ And the most populous democracy in the world.
◘ Currently, It consists of 28 states and 8 union territories.
◘ Previously India had 29 states and 7 Union Territories.
◘ Newly formed state- Telangana.
◘ Telangana formed on 2 June 2014, the area was separated from the northwestern part of Andhra Pradesh.
Union Territories of India
What is Union Territory?
• A union territory is a central administrative division in the Republic of India. Unlike the states of India, which have their own governments, union territories are federal territories governed, in part or in whole, by the Union Government of India.
Number of Union Territories of India
• As of 2019, India has a total of eight Union Territories. In August 2019, the Parliament of India passed an act by which Ladakh and Jammu Kashmir became a union territory on 31 October 2019.
Union Territories of India, recent updates
◘ Newly formed Union Territories are – Ladakh and Jammu & Kashmir.
◘ Until 2019, Ladakh was a region of the Indian-administered state of Jammu and Kashmir.
◘ In August 2019, the Parliament of India passed an act by which Ladakh became a union territory on 31 October 2019.
◘ Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu are union territories in western India.
◘ It was formed by the merger of the former union territories of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu.
◘ The territory comprises four separate geographical entities Dadra, Nagar Haveli, Daman, and the island of Diu.
List of States and Capitals of India 2022
♦ Here is the list of States and Capitals of India, including Union territories of India with formation year.
|1.||Andhra Pradesh||Visakhapatnam (Administrative)
|1 November 1956|
|2.||Arunachal Pradesh||Itanagar||20 February 1987|
|3.||Assam||Dispur||26 January 1950|
|4.||Bihar||Patna||26 January 1950|
|5.||Chhattisgarh||Nava Raipur||1 November 2000|
|6.||Goa||Panaji||30 May 1987|
|8.||Haryana||Chandigarh||1 November 1966|
|9.||Himachal Pradesh||Shimla (Summer)
|25 January 1971|
|11.||Karnataka||Bengaluru||1 November 1956|
|12.||Kerala||Thiruvananthapuram||1 November 1956|
|13.||Madhya Pradesh||Bhopal||26 January 1950|
|1 May 1960|
|15.||Manipur||Imphal||21 January 1972|
|16.||Meghalaya||Shillong||21 January 1972|
|17.||Mizoram||Aizawl||20 February 1987|
|18.||Nagaland||Kohima||1 December 1963|
|19.||Odisha||Bhubaneswar||26 January 1950|
|20.||Punjab||Chandigarh||1 November 1966|
|21.||Rajasthan||Jaipur||26 January 1950|
|22.||Sikkim||Gangtok||16 May 1975|
|23.||Tamil Nadu||Chennai||1 November 1956|
|24.||Telangana||Hyderabad||2 June 2014|
|25.||Tripura||Agartala||21 January 1972|
|26.||Uttar Pradesh||Lucknow||26 January 1950|
|9 November 2000|
|28.||West Bengal||Kolkata||26 January 1950|
List of Union Territories and Capitals of India 2022
♦ Here is the list of Union Territories and Capitals of India with the date and formation year.
|1.||Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Port Blair||1 November 1956|
|2.||Chandigarh||Chandigarh||1 November 1966|
|3.||Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu||Daman||26 January 2020|
|4.||Delhi||New Delhi||1 November 1956|
|5.||Jammu and Kashmir||Srinagar (Summer)|
|31 October 2019|
|31 October 2019|
|7.||Lakshadweep||Kavaratti||1 November 1956|
States and Union Territories of India 2022 Map
Union Territories of India and their capitals, key points
• Hyderabad is de jure joint capital of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana until 2024.
• Shillong was the joint capital of Assam and Meghalaya until 1972.
• Naya Raipur is planned to replace Raipur as the capital city of Chhattisgarh.
• Panaji was the capital of Goa from 1843 when it was ruled by the Portuguese.
• Mumbai (Bombay) was the capital of the Bombay Presidency, which was a province until 1950. After that Bombay became the capital of Bombay State. Subsequently, Bombay State was split into Gujarat and Maharashtra in 1960.
• Gangtok has been the capital of Sikkim since 1890. The Kingdom of Sikkim joined the Indian Union in 1975.
• Chennai (Madras) has been the capital of the Madras Presidency since 1839, which was redrawn as Madras State in 1956. Madras State was renamed as Tamil Nadu in 1968.