The Hurun Global Rich List, which was recently published the list of the Top 10 Billionaires in India, reveals that Mukesh Ambani, Chairman of Reliance Industries and the wealthiest person in Asia, is the sole Indian to be featured in the top 10 billionaires list.
On Wednesday, Hurun, the world’s largest provider of rich lists, released the 12th Anniversary Edition of the 2023 M3M Hurun Global Rich List. The list identifies Indian billionaires as the wealthiest individuals in five sectors, namely healthcare, paints, aviation, telecom, and biscuit manufacturing.
Hurun Global Rich List: India
▪ India ranks third in the number of billionaires category in the 2023 M3M Hurun Global Rich List, with a total of 187 billionaires.
▪ However, this number is significantly lower than the United States, which has 691 billionaires. The report also revealed that 30 new people have joined the list of India’s billionaires this year.
▪ Over the past five years, Hurun has observed a consistent increase in India’s contribution to the global billionaire population.
▪ Currently, India accounts for 8 percent of the global billionaire population, as opposed to 4.9 percent five years ago.
Top 10 Billionaires in India Hurun Global Rich List
|Rank in India||Global Rank||Name||Wealth $ bn||Main Company|
|2||23||Gautam Adani & family||53||Adani|
|4||50||Shiv Nadar & family||26||HCL|
|5||76||Lakshmi N Mittal||20||ArcelorMittal|
|6||76||SP Hinduja & family||20||Hinduja|
|7||98||Dilip Shanghvi & family||17||Sun Pharmaceutical Industries|
|8||107||Radhakishan Damani & family||16||Avenue Supermarts|
|9||135||Kumar Mangalam Birla & family||14||Aditya Birla|
|10||135||Uday Kotak||14||Kotak Mahindra Bank|
▪ Launched in partnership with M3M India, the 2023 M3M Hurun Global Rich List features several Indian billionaires recognized as the richest in five different sectors namely Healthcare, Paints, Aviation, Telecom, and Biscuit Manufacturing.
▪ Among them are Cyrus S. Poonawalla, Ashwin S. Dani & family, Mukesh Ambani, Nulsi Wadia & family, Rakesh Gangwal, and Rahul Bhatia.
▪ With a fortune of $82 billion, Mukesh Ambani tops the list as the world’s richest telecom entrepreneur, while India’s Serum Institute industrialist Cyrus S. Poonawalla, with a fortune of $27 billion, is the world’s richest healthcare billionaire, followed by Shiv Nadar & family ($26 billion) and Lakshmi N Mittal ($20 billion).
▪ Despite falling 108 ranks this year, Ashwin S Dani & Family remains the world’s richest paint conglomerate, with a net worth of $7.1 billion.
▪ India also boasts the richest aviation billionaires, including Rakesh Gangwal and Rahul Bhatia and the IndiGo Airlines family, with a combined net worth of $3.6 billion and $3.3 billion, respectively.
▪ Meanwhile, Britannia Industries’ Nulsi Wadia & Family is the world’s richest biscuit maker, with a personal fortune of $8.2 billion.
▪ Gautam Adani, with a personal fortune of $33.6 billion, is the third richest energy entrepreneur on the 2023 M3M Hurun Global Rich List, despite dropping 11 ranks from the previous year.
▪ Havells India’s Anil Rai Gupta and family, with a net worth of $3.6 billion, are the world’s third-richest home appliance tycoons.
▪ Baiju Ravindran & Family, which has jumped 1,005 spots in the past three years, ranks 994th with assets of $3.3 billion, making them the second-richest education entrepreneur globally.
▪ Kumar Mangalam Birla & Family, with assets of $14 billion, is the second richest cement manufacturer in the world.
The Hurun Global Rich List 2023 ranked 3,112 billionaires, down from 3,384 last year, from 2,356 companies & 69 countries.— Asset Yogi (@assetyogi) March 23, 2023
The number of billionaires dropped by 8% & their total wealth dropped by 10%, against last year. #HurunGlobalRichList #India #BillionsClub pic.twitter.com/VSBzBMJwem
Top 10 Billionaires in the World
▪ The ‘2023 M3M Hurun Global Rich List’ report was compiled by research platform Hurun in partnership with the real estate group.
▪ The report revealed that Reliance Industries chairman and Asia’s richest man Mukesh Ambani is the only Indian on among the top 10 billionaires in the world.
▪ Despite facing a 20 percent decline in his wealth, Ambani managed to secure the ninth position globally with a net worth of $82 billion.
Stat’s of the Hurun Global Rich List
▪ According to the Hurun Global Rich List for 2023, there are 3,112 billionaires from 69 countries and 2,356 companies, which is a decrease from last year’s figure of 3,384 billionaires.
▪ The number of billionaires has dropped by 8 percent, and their total wealth has decreased by 10 percent compared to last year.
▪ Among the billionaires, 1,078 individuals saw an increase in their wealth, with 176 new entrants to the list. However, 2,479 billionaires experienced no change or a decrease in their wealth, with 445 of them dropping off the list completely.
List of Top 10 Billionaires in the World
|3||Bertrand Puech & family||134|
Top 10 Countries by Number of Billionaires (Forbes)
|Rank||Country/Territory||Number of billionaires||Number of billionaires per million people|