• The Biosphere is a region of the surface, atmosphere, and hydrosphere of the earth occupied by living organisms.
• The Biosphere Reserves are the specific region of a biome reserved for the conservation of all forms of life, along with its support system.
• Biosphere reserves ensure the sustainable development of the region by encouraging wise use of natural and human resources.
1. Conservation of Biodiversity 2. Sustainable Development 3. Support for Logistics
• At present India has 18 biosphere Reserves. Out of 18 biosphere reserves, 12 are part of the World Network of Biosphere Reserves MAB Programme.
Panna National Park is India’s latest declared Biosphere Reserve. It is located in the Panna and Chhatarpur districts of Madhya Pradesh in India.
In 2020, Panna has been designated as a World Network of Biosphere Reserves based on the UNESCO Man and the Biosphere (MAB) program listing.
Spain has the highest number of biosphere reserves in the world, (a total of 52). It is followed by the United States (47) Mexico (42) and China (33)
The Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve is India's largest protected forest area, spanning across Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, and Kerala.