World's smallest ocean: Discover 7 amazing facts about the Arctic Ocean!

By Srikanto Mandal 12 December, 2023

Explore the Arctic Ocean, a small yet mighty wonder! Uncover 7 incredible facts that will leave you amazed.

The Arctic Ocean holds the crown for the smallest and shallowest ocean on Earth, covering only about 4% of the planet's surface.

Forget sandy beaches - the Arctic Ocean is 60% covered in ice year-round, with the remaining 40% thawing during the short summer months.

The Arctic Ocean is relatively shallow at around 3,408 feet, much shallower than the Pacific at 12,100 feet!

Life thrives in the harsh Arctic Ocean: polar bears, walruses, narwhals, seals, alongside plankton and algae, form a vibrant ecosystem.

The Arctic Ocean has hidden worlds under its ice. Hot water vents create homes for tube worms, shrimp, and even blind yeti crabs!

The Arctic Ocean is warming at twice the rate of the rest of the planet, leading to melting ice, rising sea levels, and disruptions to the delicate balance of the ecosystem.

The Arctic Ocean holds a ancient history, with fossils telling stories of past reptiles and mammals on its icy shores.

Indigenous Arctic communities, like the Inuit, provide valuable insights into adapting to climate change through traditional knowledge and sustainable practices.