Word(s) of the year abbreviated as “WOTY” (or “WotY”), refer to various assessments as the most important word(s) or expression(s) by the public in a given year.
2022 Word of the year top list
American Dialect Society
• American Dialect Society’s Word of the year 2021 was: Insurrection, referring to the January 6 attacks on the US Capitol.
Australian National Dictionary Centre
• Australian National Dictionary Centre’s Word of the year 2022 is “Teal”.
• Cambridge Dictionary’s Word of the year 2022 is “Homer“.
Collins English Dictionary
• Collins English Dictionary Word of the year 2022 is “Permacrisis”.
• Committee’s Choice– Macquarie Dictionary’s Word of the year 2022 is “Teal”.
• People’s Choice– Macquarie Dictionary’s Word of the year 2022 is “bachelor’s handbag”.
• Merriam-Webster’s Word of the year 2022 is “Gaslighting“.
• Oxford dictionary, Word of the year 2022 is “Goblin mode”.
• Shanghai Daily’s Word of the Year 2022 is “Omicron“
Word of the year 2022 list Summary
|Sl.No||Dictionary Name||Word of the Year 2022|
|1||Australian National Dictionary Centre||Teal|
|3||Collins English Dictionary||Permacrisis|
|4||Macquarie Dictionary||Teal (Committee’s Choice) |
Bachelor’s Handbag (People’s Choice)
|6||Oxford dictionary||Goblin mode|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1. What is the Collins dictionary word of the year 2022?
Q2. Which was named as the word of the year 2022 by the Oxford dictionary?
Answer: Goblin mode
Q3. Which was the Merriam-Webster word of the year 2022?
Q4. Which was the word of the year 2022 by the Cambridge dictionary?