World Soil Day (WSD) 2021
• Every year the Word Soil Day celebrated on 5th December. The campaign or theme of the World Soil Day 2021 is: “Halt soil salinization, boost soil productivity”. It aims to raise awareness of the importance of maintaining healthy ecosystems and human well-being by addressing the growing challenges in soil management, fighting soil salinization, increasing soil awareness and encouraging societies to improve soil health.
• The International Soil Day was recommended by the International Union of Soil Sciences (IUSS) in 2002. Under the leadership of the Kingdom of Thailand and within the framework of the Global Soil Partnership, Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) has supported the formal establishment of WSD as a global awareness raising platform.
◘ Why was 5 December chose as the date of WSD?
• The Word Soil Day is celebrated on 5th December each year to commemorate the official birthday of the late King of Thailand, H.M. King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who had officially sanctioned the event.
Quick Overview about “Soil in News”
◘ World Soil Day 2021 – 5th December
✓ Theme 2021 – Halt soil salinization, boost soil productivity.
◘ 6th Soil Health Card Day observed in India on
✓ 19 February 2021.
◘ Which scheme completed 5 Years on 19 Feb 2020?
✓ Soil Health Card Scheme
◘ What is the theme of World Soil Day 2019?
✓ Theme 2019: Stop Soil Erosion, Save our Future
◘ Soil Health Card Scheme was launched by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 19.02.2015 at which place?
✓ Suratgarh, Rajasthan
◘ Theme of the World Soil Day 2020?
✓ Theme 2020: “Keep Soil Alive, Protect Soil Biodiversity”
◘ Indian Institute of Soil Science (IISS) of ICAR located at_?
✓ Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
◘ Union Minister Gangapuram Kishan Reddy has recently inaugurated the first soil testing laboratory in which state of the North East?
Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana (PKVY)
• The Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana (PKVY) is a sub-component of the Soil Health Management (SHM) scheme under the National Mission of Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA).
• The scheme aims to develop sustainable models of organic farming through a mix of traditional wisdom and modern science to ensure long term soil fertility.
• Fifty or more farmers will form a cluster having 50-acre land to take up organic farming under the scheme and every farmer will be provided Rs 20,000 per acre in 3 years for the seed to harvesting of crops.
King Bhumibol World Soil Day 2020 award
◘ Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) received the King Bhumibol World Soil Day award 2020.
◘ For its contribution towards creating awareness on the importance of healthy soils.
◘ The award was presented at the ceremony held in Bangkok, Thailand on 7th March 2021.
◘ On Behalf of ICAR, Suchitra Durai, Ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Thailand received the award.
◘ The award was announced by the Food and Agriculture Organisation(FAO) of the United Nations(UN) in Rome on 4th December 2020, the eve of World Soil Day 2020.
◘ About Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO)
• Formation year- 16 October 1945
• Founded in – Canada, Quebec City
• Headquarters – Italy, Rome
• Director-general – China Qu Dongyu
• Parent organization – United Nations Economic and Social Council
◘ About Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
• Motto in English – Agrisearch with a human touch
• Established on – 16 July 1929
• President – Shri Narendra Singh Tomar (Minister of Agriculture)
• Director – Trilochan Mohapatra
• Head Quarters – New Delhi, Delhi, India
• Study of Soil Known as – Pedology