Indian Railway Current Affairs is an important topic in almost all competitive exams, particularly RRB NTPC and SSC exams. Here we have provided important Indian Railway Current Affairs in question-answer formats.
Indian Railway Current Affairs January to December 2022
Indian Railway Current Affairs August 2022
Agreement: Indian Railways with Amazon India
• Indian Railways has signed an agreement with e-commerce firm Amazon India to boost food delivery services.
• The e-commerce firm said, “it will be able to transport packages to more than 110 inter-city routes through this partnership, ensuring one to two-day delivery for its customer”.
• According to Amazon, 97% of PIN codes now being able to receive their deliveries within two days of placing an order.
World’s Highest Railway Bridge: Chenab Bridge
• The golden joint of the world’s highest railway bridge-Chenab bridge was inaugurated on Saturday. (13 August).
Key technical data of the bridge
• Height 359m (above river bed)
• 35 meters higher than the iconic Eiffel Tower in Paris
• Length of the bridge is 1315 meters
• Length of the arch span is 467 meters
• Longest span: 467 m
• No. of spans: 17
Unique Features of Chenab Bridge
• Height: 359 m
• Length of Bridge 1,315 m
• Connect: Bakkal and Kauri (Reasi district J&K)
• Maximum permissible speed 100 kmph
• Built over Chenab River
• Part of: Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Rail Link Project
• Life span: 120 years
• Can bear wind speeds of up to 266 km/hr
• Can bear temperatures up to minus 20 degrees centigrade.
Super Vasuki: Longest freight train
• Super Vasuki is India’s longest freight train recently tested by Indian Railways.
• The freight train is 3.5 km long.
• Six locos, 295 wagons, and a freight capacity of 25,962 tonnes make it the longest and heaviest freight train operated by the Indian railways.
• The train took 11.20 hours to cover a distance of 267 km.
• The amount of coal that Super Vasuki carries is enough to power a 3000 MW power plant for a day.
• The Super Vasuki is operated by the South East Central Railway (SECR) zone of the Indian Railways.
MoU: IRCTC with BSF
• Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Border Security Force (BSF) to ensure the safety and security of booking data under its air e-ticket service.
Khulna-Darsana and Parbatipur-Kaunia Railway Project
• Governments of India and Bangladesh have signed agreements for consultancy services for two railway projects.
• 1. Construction of Double Line Rail Track Between Khulna-Darsana Junction Section of Bangladesh Railway
• 2. Conversion of Meter Gauge Line Into Dual Gauge Line from Parbatipur to Kaunia Section of Bangladesh Railway.
Shokhuvi : 2nd Railway Station of Nagaland
• The state of Nagaland received its second railway station at Shokhuvi village after more than 100 years.
• Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio inaugurated the Donyi Polo Express from Shokhuvi station.
Indian Railway Current Affairs July 2022
• Operation NARCOS was launched by the Railway Protection Force (RPF) against the smuggling of narcotics through rail.
• Recently, the Railway Protection Force recovered narcotics worth over Rs 7.40 crore under Operation NARCOS.
India’s longest skywalk
• Western Railway (WR) has opened India’s longest skywalk in Mumbai.
• This skywalk connects Mumbai’s Bandra terminus with Khar station.
• The skywalk spans 314 meters long and is 4.4 meters wide.
‘Magic Mirror Screen
• Recently, Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus became India’s first railway station equipped with an augmented reality screen ‘Magic Mirror’.
New MD of NHSRCL
• Recently, Rajendra Prasad has been appointed as the Managing Director of National High-Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL).
Chairman & MD of RCIL
• The Public Enterprise’s Selection Board (PESB) has selected Sanjay Kumar for the post of Chairman and Managing Director of RailTel Corporation of India Ltd (RCIL).
Taranga Hill-Ambaji- Abu Road new rail line
• Recently, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved the construction of Taranga Hill-Ambaji- Abu Road new rail line.
• The total length of the new rail line will be 116.65 km and the project will be completed by 2026-27.
• The route will connect the Sirohi district of Rajasthan with the Banaskantha and Mehsana districts of Gujarat.
New name of NRTI
• Recently, the Union Cabinet has given the approval to rename National Rail and Transportation Institute as Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya.
• The National Rail and Transportation Institute is located in Gujarat.
Indian Railway Current Affairs June 2022
Highest ever monthly revenue generation
• The World Heritage Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR) recorded an all-time high monthly income in May this financial year.
• This is about 54 percent more than the previous record. The huge amount of tourist attendance that month has been attributed to the all-time high revenue generation.
• “DHR has recorded a maximum monthly revenue generation of about Rs 3.20 crore against expenditure of Rs 2.75 crore in May 2022.
‘StartUps For Railways’ Policy
• Union Railway Minister, Ashwini Vaishnaw has launched “StartUps for Railways”, an important initiative in the field of innovation.
• The goal is to bring innovative solutions to problems such as rail cracks, time delays between two trains, and other passenger-related problems.
• The Railways would grant up to Rs 1.5 crore to innovators on an equal sharing basis with the provision of milestone-wise payment under the policy.
Operation Mahila Suraksha
• Railway Protection Force (RPF) launched Operation Mahila Suraksha to ensure women’s security.
• Under this operation Railway Protection Force (RPF) rescued 150 girls and women from becoming victims of human trafficking.
• Operation Mahila Suraksha launched from 3rd to 31st May 2022.
• During the operation, the RPF arrested more than 7,000 people who were traveling in unauthorized coaches reserved for women.
Eastern Railway achieves 100% electrification
• Eastern Railway has achieved 100 percent electrification of its 2,848 km network.
• With the completion of work on the 41 km Hansdiha-Godda section, Eastern Railway has achieved this feat.
• This will significantly reduce carbon emissions and help Indian Railways achieve its goal of making the country’s railway network carbon neutral by 2030.
• The Eastern Railway is one of the 18 zones of Indian Railways.
• The headquarters of the Eastern Railway is located at Kolkata and consists of four divisions: Howrah, Malda, Sealdah, and Asansol.
The first train under the ‘Bharat Gaurav’ scheme’
• The first train under the “Bharat Gaurab Scheme” was started by the Southern Railway Zone of Indian Railways from Coimbatore (Tamil Nadu) to Shirdi (Maharashtra).
• Bharat Gaurav Train started on June 14, 2022, from Coimbatore North to Sainagar Shirdi.
• It will reach Sainagar Shirdi on June 16, 2022.
• 1100 passengers boarded the round-trip service from Coimbatore to Shirdi.
• South Star Rail provides private service for an itinerary comprising five days.
• The project was launched by the Government of India to harness the huge potential of tourism in India.
• It will run on the line of Ramayana Express, which IRCTC is operating.
Indian Railway Current Affairs May 2022
Battery-operated dual-mode locomotive ‘Navdoot’
• After e-bikes, e-cars, and e-bus are in the country, this time the dream of e-train is also about to be fulfilled.
• West Central Railway has developed a battery-operated dual-mode locomotive named Navdoot.
• ‘Navdoot’ can run on both modes i.e. battery and electricity.
• Currently, it is being used on a trial basis during train shunting at Jabalpur, Mudwara, and other stations.
• This dual-mode locomotive has also received the award for best innovation from the Railway Board.
• This engine runs on both modes i.e. battery and electricity.
• Railways will save 1000 liters of diesel every day with this new locomotive.
• This e-engine can pull 18 coaches at a speed of 30 kmph.
• It has 84 batteries and has a capacity to pull 400 tonnes at present.
• This has been developed by the Electric Department of New Katni Junction.
• After clearing all the trials, it will be used more widely in other stations for purposes like carrying goods, coal, oil tankers, etc.
Indian Railway current affairs January to April 2022
Chairman of the Railway Board
☛ Who is the new chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Railway Board?
• Answer: V K Tripathi
Plan Bee of Indian Railways
☛ Plan Bee launched by Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) had won the Best Innovation Awards by Indian Railways. Plan Bee was to keep which wild animal away from the tracks?
• Answer: Elephants.
◘ About Plan Bee
The plan installs a unique electronic device along the railway tracks. These devices create the buzzing sounds of swarming bees. Elephants get annoyed with the buzzing sound of bees and they try to stay away from the source of the sound. Thus, by creating the buzzing sound, the device keeps the elephants away from the railway track. The sound produced by the device is audible from a distance of 400 meters.
Electric boat for Kochi Metro
☛ Which Shipyard has built the first electric boat for Kochi Metro Rail Ltd?
• Answer: Cochin Shipyard Limited
◘ Key points about the electric boat
• The battery-powered water metro boat can carry 100 passengers.
• Total of 23 boats are being built by the Cochin Shipyard for the 747-crore rupee Kochi Water Metro project.
• Kochi Water Metro system will have 78 ferries, linking 38 terminals spread over 76 route kilometers.
• KMRL said it was for the first time in the world a centrally controlled integrated water transport system with a large fleet powered by a battery.
☛ Which Railway zone has launched ‘Mission Amaanat’ for passengers to find out lost belongings?
Answer: Western Railway Zone
◘ Key Points about the ‘Mission Amaanat’
• The Railway Protection Force (RPF) of the Western Railways zone of Indian Railways has launched a new initiative called “Mission Amanat” to make it easier for railway passengers to get back their lost luggage.
• Under Mission Amanat, the details of lost luggage and belongings along with photos will be uploaded on the official website of the zonal railway, https://wr.indianrailways.gov.in/.
• This will help the passengers in tracking and getting back their lost belongings as well as ensure the safety and security of passengers and their luggage and belongings.
Renaming of Kevadiya Railway station
☛ Which railway station has been renamed Ekta Nagar railway station?
• Answer: Kevadia Railway Station
◘ Key Points Kevadiya railway station
• Kevadiya railway station is located in the Narmada district of Gujarat.
• It is the nearest railway station to the Statue of Unity, which is famous for being the world’s tallest statue.
• The station code of Kevadiya ‘ KDYC’ will be further changed for Ekta Nagar railway station as ‘EKNR’ and the numerical code of the station will be 08224620.
Redesignate the post of ‘Train Guard’
☛ Indian railways decided to redesignate the post of ‘Train Guard’ to what?
• Answer: Train Manager
Refurbishing of Sogaria railway station
☛ Lok Sabha Speaker, Om Birla inaugurated the revamped Sogaria railway station. The station belongs to which state?
• Answer: Rajasthan
◘ Key Points about Sogaria railway station
• The redeveloped Sogaria railway station, is well equipped with state-of-the-art facilities.
• The station will be decorated with Rajasthani art.
• It is an important railway station in the West Central Railway zone.
• Sogaria is located near the city of Kota, Rajasthan.
• Sogaria railway station has been redeveloped by the national transporter and Rail Vikas Nigam (RVNL).
• The aim is to imbibe the wonderful beauty of cultural heritage and local arts with state-of-the-art facilities.
• The beautiful façade of this newly redeveloped station showcases Rajasthani art and cultural heritage.
Kerala Siver Line Project
☛ The Silver Line Project has been in news for protests in Kerala. What is this project related to?
• Answer: Railway
◘ Key points about Silver Line Project
• The Silver Line is a proposed high-speed rail line project in Kerala, India.
• It would connect Thiruvananthapuram, the capital city, and Kasaragod of Kerala state.
• It will have an operating speed of 200 kilometers per hour (120 mph).
• Earlier, it used to take about 10 to 12 hours to reach Kasargod from Thiruvananthapuram. However, with this high-speed rail project, it reduces the time from 6 to 8 hours It takes only 4 hours to reach Kasargod from Thiruvananthapuram.
• Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Chengannur, Kottayam, Ernakulam, Thrissur, Tirur, Kozhikode, Kannur and Kasaragod will be the stations in this corridor.
1000th trip of Kishan Rail
☛ Which railway zone recently flagged off the 1000th trip of Kisan Rail?
• Answer: Central Railway zone
◘ Key points about Kisan Rail
• Indian Railways are running the Kisan Rail train services, to transport perishables and agri-product, including milk, meat, and fish.
• The primary objective of running Kisan Rail trains is to increase the income in the farm sector by connecting production centers to markets and consumption centers.
•Main crops/farm-produce transported via Kisan Rail train include oranges, onion, potato, banana, mango, tomato, pomegranate, custard apple, capsicum, chikoo, carrot, etc
First Gati Shakti Cargo Terminal
☛ The Indian railway’s first ‘Gati Shakti’ cargo terminal was commissioned in which division of the Eastern railway?
• Answer: Asansol
◘ Key points about Gati Shakti’s cargo terminal
• Ministry of Railways, Communications and Electronics and Information Technology, Ashwini Vaishnaw, informed that the government will set up 100 Gati Shakti Cargo Terminal in the next three financial years i.e. 2022-23, 2023-24, and 2024-25.
India’s first Bullet Train
☛ Which city is going to be the first station to be ready for India’s first Bullet Train?
• Answer: Surat
◘ Key points about India’s first bullet train
• Mumbai–Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail Corridor (MAHSR corridor) is an under-construction high-speed rail line.
• The rail corridor connects India’s economic hub Mumbai with the city of Ahmedabad.
• Construction of the Mumbai–Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail Corridor (MAHSR corridor) was expected to begin by April 2020.
•The project was initially expected to be completed by December 2023 But due to problems with land acquisition, the completion date has been pushed to October 2028.
• The stretch of 50 km (31 mi) from Surat to Bilimora is expected to be completed by 2026.
Energy-efficient Vande Bharat trains
☛ The Union Budget for 2022-23 has announced how many new energy-efficient Vande Bharat trains will be introduced in three years?
• Answer: A. 400
◘ About Vande Bharat Express
• The Vande Bharat Express, also known as Train 18.
• It is an Indian semi-high-speed, intercity, EMU train which is operated by the Indian Railways.
• As of March 2022, the Indian Railways operates Vande Bharat express only on two prominent routes one from New Delhi (NDLS) to Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra (SVDK) and the other from New Delhi (NDLS) to Varanasi (BSB).
• It was designed and manufactured by Integral Coach Factory (ICF) at Perambur, Chennai under the Indian government’s Make in India initiative, over a span of 18 months.
• It is designed to be capable of running at a maximum speed of 200 km/h (120 mph).
Jaffna-Colombo luxury train service
☛ Sri Lanka launched a luxury train service connecting the Jaffna district to its capital Colombo with the help of a Line of Credit offered by which country?
• Answer: India
◘ About the luxury train service Project
• The service was launched between Mount Lavinia (Colombo) and Kankesanthurai (Jaffna).
• India provided AC DMUs, that are fully Air Conditioned Diesel Multiple Units for the project.
• The train service facilitates people–to–people exchange and also lays emphasis on beneficial cooperation between India and Sri Lanka.
☛ Indian Railway’s first solar plant is commissioned at Bina in which state?
• Answer: Madhya Pradesh
☛ Indian Railways recently carried out the trial of an indigenously developed technology that can prevent two trains from colliding. What name has been given to the technology?
• Answer: Kavach
☛ Which railway station would be the first station in the East Coast Railway to implement the ‘One Station One Product’ scheme?
• Answer: Vishakhapatnam
☛ The longest tunnel of Indian Railways T-49 recently in news is a part of which rail link?
• Answer: Udhampur –Srinagar- Baramulla
☛ As per a contract which country’s railways will procure 420 broad-gauge wagons from India?
• Answer: Bangladesh
☛ Which establishment bagged the ICAI Award for excellence in financial reporting for 2020-21 in Public Sector Entities category?
• Answer: Rail Tel
☛ Union Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated a 14.5 km long rail-cum-road-bridge over the Ganga river in which state?
• Answer: Bihar
☛ Which ministry has set up a permanent coordination committee to prevent the deaths of elephants on railway tracks?
Answer: Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
☛ Who has assumed the charge of the new managing director of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC)?
Answer: Vikas Kumar
☛ Recently, the Rail service was inaugurated between India and Nepal. The train will operate from which place in Bihar to Kurtha in Janakapur (Nepal)?
☛ National Capital Regional Transport Corporation (NCRTC) recently unveiled coaches that are to be part of India’s first rapid rail. This rail will run on which corridor?
• Answer: Delhi- Meerut
☛ The first Janshatabdi express train connecting the state of Manipur with Tripura via Assam was flagged off by whom?
• Answer: Minister of Railways, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology Ashwini Vaisnaw
One Station One Product
☛ Recently, the South-Central Railway (SCR) has launched which campaign at six main stations across its six divisions?
Answer: One station one product
◘ Key Points about “One Station, One Product”
• The SCR’s “One Station, One Product” intends to develop railway stations into sales and promotional centers for indigenous and local products.
• As part of the new initiative, SCR in-charge General Manager Arun Kumar Jain has set up stalls at Secunderabad Station.
• In addition to Vijayawada, Guntur, and Aurangabad, stalls have been set up in Kacheguda.
• The government announced the new scheme in the General Budget for 2022-23, and it is presently being tested in Tirupati.
Download PDFFor PDF, Print this page and save as a PDF
Click the “Print This Page Button”