Indian Railway Current Affairs is an important topic in almost all competitive exams, particularly RRB NTPC and SSC exams. Here we have provided important Indian Railway Current Affairs in question-answer formats.
Indian Railway Current Affairs January to December 2023
Indian Railway Current Affairs August 2023
▪ IRISET (Indian Railways Institute of Signal Engineering and Telecommunications) and IIT Madras signed an MoU to establish India’s first 5G testbed for the railways. The testbed will be located at IRISET in Secunderabad and will be used to test and develop 5G-enabled applications for the railways.
▪ PM Modi laid the foundation stone for the redevelopment of 508 railway stations as part of the Amrit Bharat Rail Station Scheme. The scheme aims to redevelop a total of 1309 railway stations across India.
▪ New Amravati station in Maharashtra has become the first pink station in Central Railways. The station has been renovated to make it more women-friendly.
There are currently 3 pink railway stations in India, all of which are located in the state of Maharashtra. They are: Matunga Railway Station in Mumbai Ajni Railway Station in Nagpur New Amravati Railway Station in Amravati New Amravati Railway Station (Amaravati, Maharashtra) became the 3rd station within Central Railway(CR) and the 1st station in the Bhusaval Division of CR to be designated as a Pink Station, fully managed by women staff.
Read More About Pink Railway Station
▪ Shyam Sunder Gupta has taken over as the new Principal Chief Operations Manager of Central Railway. He is a retired Indian Railways officer with over 40 years of experience.
▪ Jaya Verma Sinha has become the first woman CEO and chairperson of the Railway Board. She is a retired Indian Railways officer with over 30 years of experience.
▪ Indian Railways is introducing a new type of train called the push-pull train to enhance the travel experience of its passengers. It will have a specially designed locomotive built by Chittaranjan Locomotive Works (CLW) that will be connected to the train at each end.
▪ India is set to launch its first domestically produced hydrogen-powered train in 2023. The train, named Vande Metro, will be powered by hydrogen fuel cells that convert hydrogen and oxygen into electricity. This makes it a zero-emissions vehicle, unlike traditional diesel trains.
Read More About: India’s First Hydrogen-Powered Train with Important Facts
Indian Railway Current Affairs July 2023
▪ Recently, it has been announced that the name of Itwari Railway station has been changed to ‘Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Itwari’ station. It is located in Maharashtra.
▪ Recently, IIT, Kharagpur has partnered with Indian Railways to develop tamper-proof
signaling system based on blockchain technology.
▪ Recently, Manoj Yadav has been appointed as the new Director General of the Railway Protection Force.
▪ India and Bangladesh signed a contract for the installation of computer-based interlocking
signaling system for the Dhaka-Tongi-Joydebpur rail line at Rail Bhaban, Dhaka.
▪ Recently, it was informed that the commercial production of Vande Bharat sleeper trains will begin at Titagarh Rail Systems Limited Uttarpara plant. It is in West Bengal.
▪ India’s oldest railway station (169 years old) Byculla railway station in central Mumbai, Maharashtra received the 2022 United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Asia Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation (Award of Merit).
Indian Railway Current Affairs June 2023
▪ French company Alstom has been selected as the lowest bidder for the manufacture and maintenance of 100 aluminum Vande Bharat trainsets, worth Rs 30,000 crore.
▪ The Northern Railway zone of the Indian Railways has named its diesel locomotives after the martyrs as a tribute to their indomitable spirit and valor.
▪ India has officially handed over the cross-border rail link connecting Jaynagar in Bihar to Kurtha in Nepal to the Nepal government. The Jaynagar-Kurtha section forms a crucial part of the 68.7km Jaynagar-Bijalpura-Bardidas rail link, which was constructed with grant assistance of NPR 8.77 billion from the Government of India.
▪ In a collaborative effort, Prime Minister Narendra Modi of India and Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal of Nepal jointly inaugurated the commencement of a freight train service. The service will operate from Bathnaha in India to Biratnagar in the Morang district of Nepal.
▪ Recently, the Railway Protection Force (RPF) conducted the operation “Amanat”, for the retrieval of lost or left-behind luggage and valuable articles.
▪ Recently, Guwahati Railway Station became the first Railway Station under the Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) to get the “Eat Right Station” certificate from FSSAI.
▪ India’s largest rail private coach factory has been inaugurated in Telangana.
▪ The Railway Ministry has recently approved a budget allocation of Rs 153.84 crores for the Agartala-Akhaura railway project. Spanning over a distance of 15 km, this railway link will connect Agartala in India to Akhaura in Bangladesh.
▪ Recently, PM Shri Narendra Modi flagged off five Vande Bharat Express trains from Rani Kamlapati railway station, Madhya Pradesh.
Indian Railway Current Affairs May 2023
▪ Chennai Metro Rail Limited has won the silver award in the carbon reduction category of the Green World Awards 2023.
▪ Recently, the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA) and the Ministry of Railways have signed a joint MoU with Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) for “Station Area Development along Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail” (Project-SMART).
▪ According to recent information, the “One Station One Product” (OSOP) scheme of Indian Railways has covered 728 railway stations.
▪ Recently, REMC Ltd has set up the National Energy Management Centre (NEMC) for Indian Railways in New Delhi.
▪ Recently, Russia-Iran signed an agreement to build the Rasht-Astara railway line as part of an International North-South Transport Corridor (INSTC)
▪ Recently, PM Shri Narendra Modi virtually flagged off Uttarakhand’s first semi-high-speed Vande Bharat Express train. It will connect Dehradun and New Delhi.
▪ Recently, PM Shri Narendra Modi flagged off North East’s first Vande Bharat Express train from Guwahati.
Indian Railway Current Affairs April 2023
▪ At the Rani Kamlapati Railway Station in Bhopal, Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off the Vande Bharat Express, which will run between Bhopal’s Rani Kamlapati Railway Station and New Delhi Railway Station. This new addition to the Vande Bharat train fleet will be the 11th of its kind in the country.
▪ Japan has given its approval for Official Development Assistance (ODA) worth Rs. 5,509 crores for the construction of the Patna Metro Rail Project.
▪ Recently, Haryana became the first state in India to have a 100% electrified railway network.
▪ Recently, the National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC) has named its first semi-high-speed regional rail services as RAPIDX.
▪ In collaboration with the State Bank of India (SBI), the Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL) has launched the Singara Chennai Card (National Common Mobility Card) in recent development.
▪ Recently, Indian Railways has completed 170 years of its operation.
▪ The entire broad-gauge network of Uttarakhand has been 100% electrified by the Indian Railways, as recently announced.
▪ India’s first cable-stayed rail bridge, the Anji Khad bridge, has been completed in the union territory of Jammu and Kashmir, according to recent reports.
▪ Recently, the Bharat Gaurav Tourist train on Ambedkar Circuit was flagged off from New Delhi.
▪ According to recent reports, the first Vande Bharat Express train in Kerala, running between Thiruvananthapuram and Kannur, will be flagged off by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Indian Railway Current Affairs March 2023
▪ The Real-Time Train Information System (RTIS) project has enabled Indian Railways to collaborate with the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) for live tracking of trains.
▪ The world’s longest railway platform, stretching 1.5 kilometers, was recently inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi at Sri Siddhaarooda railway station in Karnataka.
▪ India has signed an agreement worth approximately Rs 3,000 crores with Japan for the construction of the Bandra Kurla Mumbai High-Speed Rail Station, which will be underground.
▪ The world’s highest railway bridge, located over the Chenab River in Jammu and Kashmir, will soon be operationalized. Its construction is currently underway.
▪ The government has identified 1275 railway stations under the Amrit Bharat Station Scheme for the development of railway stations in India. The objective of the scheme is to prepare a master plan for railway stations and implement the master plan in a phased manner to enhance facilities.
▪ According to Railways and Telecom Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw, the first bullet train in India will begin service in August 2026
▪ PM Narendra Modi Inaugurates 13.7km Whitefield-KR Pura Metro Line in Bengaluru. This is the 2nd largest Metro network in India after Delhi Metro and Whitefield is the first tech corridor connected by Metro in Bengaluru.
Indian Railway Current Affairs February 2023
Indian Railway Current Affairs One Liners
▪ The Indian Railways has launched the Zoop food delivery facility on WhatsApp, enabling passengers to order meals on board trains.
▪ Recently, the South-Central Railway has completed the Vikarabad-Parli Vaijnath electrification project.
▪ The Ministry of Railways has given in-principle approval for the Pune-Nashik semi-high-speed rail project, which will run through three districts in Maharashtra.
▪ The Indian Railways has announced a special tour named “Garvi Gujarat” through its Bharat Gaurav Deluxe AC Tourist Train, which will depart from Delhi.
▪ India’s first National Metro Rail Knowledge Centre will be built in Delhi.
▪ The International Union of Railways and Railway Protection Force (RPF) have organized the 18th World Security Congress 2023 in Jaipur. The theme of the World Security Congress 2023 is Railway Security Strategy: Responses and Vision for Future
▪ BEML Limited signed an MoU with Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) led SPV, for the construction of the Bahrain Metro Rail Project Phase-1.
▪ Recently, Delhi Metro Rail Corporation announced to launch of India’s first virtual shopping app for the metro “Momentum 2.0”.
▪ Recently, the Indian Railways and India Post have launched a joint parcel service –“Rail Post Gati Shakti Express Cargo Service”.
▪ The Indian Railways has achieved a significant milestone by completing the 100% electrification of its entire broad-gauge network in the state of Uttar Pradesh.
▪ The Indian Railways will launch the Guru Kripa Yatra from Lucknow under the Bharat Gaurav Trains.
▪ Recently, it was informed that the Churchgate railway station in Mumbai will be renamed after Sir CD Deshmukh.
▪ India’s first-ever Indigenous Automatic Train Supervision System (i-ATS) jointly developed by Delhi Metro (DMRC) and Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL).
Two new Vande Bharat Express
▪ Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off two new Vande Bharat Express trains from Mumbai.
▪ The Vande Bharat Express 2.0 trains will run between Mumbai and Solapur, and Mumbai and Sainagar Shirdi.
▪ The new trains are an upgraded version of the previous Vande Bharat Express.
▪ They are equipped with state-of-the-art amenities such as comfortable seating, Wi-Fi, infotainment systems, and GPS-based passenger information systems.
▪ The trains also have improved safety features such as fire-retardant materials and emergency braking systems.
Vande Bharat Express coaches Manufacturing
▪ Coaches for semi-high-speed Vande Bharat Express to be manufactured in Rae Bareli, Maharashtra’s Latur, and Haryana’s Sonipat.
▪ This move is part of the government’s Make in India initiative.
▪ Vande Bharat Express coaches will be fully indigenous and built using Indian technology.
Indi’s Hydrogen-Powered Train
▪ The first hydrogen train in India will be manufactured domestically and run on heritage circuits.
▪ The hydrogen train is expected to be operational by December 2023.
▪ The Kalka-Shimla route is likely to be the initial circuit for the hydrogen train.
▪ Indian Railways aims to achieve 100% electrification by 2024.
▪ The Railway Protection Force (RPF) recently conducted a month-long nationwide Pan India Drive to crack down on the smuggling of narcotic products and human trafficking through the railway network. The operation was named “Narcos” for the drive against the smuggling of narcotic products and “AAHT” for the drive against human trafficking.
Indian Railway Current Affairs January 2023
▪ Recently, PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the Joka-Taratala stretch of the Joka-Esplanade Metro project in Kolkata, West Bengal.
▪ Prime Minister Narendra Modi also flagged off the eastern region’s first Vande Bharat Express in Bengal, connecting Howrah to New Jalpaiguri (NJP), virtually.
List of All Vande Bharat Express, Currently Operational ▪ 1 - New Delhi - Varanasi Vande Bharat Express ▪ 2 - New Delhi - Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra Vande Bharat Express ▪ 3 - Mumbai Central - Gandhinagar Capital Vande Bharat Express ▪ 4 - New Delhi - Amb Andaura Vande Bharat Express ▪ 5- MGR Chennai Central - Mysuru Vande Bharat Express ▪ 6- Bilaspur - Nagpur Vande Bharat Express ▪ 7- Howrah - New Jalpaiguri Vande Bharat Express ▪ 8- Visakhapatnam - Secunderabad Vande Bharat Express ▪ 9- Mumbai CSMT- Solapur Vande Bharat Express ▪ 10- Mumbai CSMT - Sainagar Shirdi Vande Bharat Express
▪ The Prime Minister also laid the foundation stone for the redevelopment of the New Jalpaiguri Railway
Station to be developed at the cost of more than Rs 335 crore.
▪ Four New Railway Projects announced by PM Modi.
- The Boinchi-Shaktigarh third line
- The Dankuni-Chandanpur fourth line
- The Nimtita-New Farakka double line
- The Ambari Falakata-New Maynaguri-Gumanihat Doubling Project
▪ Union Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw has announced that the Ahmedabad -Delhi Gujarat Sampark
Kranti Express train has been renamed as Akshardham Express.
▪ Recently, the railway’s ministry has unveiled its five-pronged energy efficiency plan to become
carbon-neutral by 2030.
▪ Varanasi Cantt Railway Station from Uttar Pradesh has been awarded a five-star ‘Eat Right Station’ certification by the FSSAI.
The other railway stations with ‘Eat Right Station’ certification include: ▪ Anand Vihar Terminal Railway Station (Delhi) ▪ Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (Mumbai) ▪ Mumbai Central Railway Station, (Mumbai) ▪ Vadodara Railway Station ▪ Chandigarh Railway Station ▪ Bhopal Railway Station.
▪ The Ghaziabad-Pt. Deen Dayal Upadhyay railway section in India, spanning 762 km, has achieved the distinction of being the lengthiest fully automatic block signaling section.
▪ Indian Railways has announced to launch of its Bharat Gaurav Tourist Train on the route connecting
Ayodhya in India and Janakpur in Nepal.
▪ Visakhapatnam Railway Station has received the “Green Railway Station Certification” with the highest Platinum rating.
▪ Naresh Lalwani has been appointed as the new General Manager of the Central Railways.
Indian Railway Current Affairs January to December 2022 - PDF - Visit Page 2