Every year, March 15th is observed as World Consumer Rights Day to raise awareness of consumer rights and promote consumer protection globally. In India, National Consumer Rights Day is celebrated on December 24th.
What is World Consumer Rights Day?
▪ World Consumer Rights Day is an annual international event observed on March 15th, aimed at increasing awareness of consumer rights and promoting consumer protection globally.
▪ The day highlights the importance of consumer rights and aims to empower consumers, to demand better and safer products and services from businesses.
Read Also, List of Important Days and Dates pdf with Themes and Key Points 2023
When is the World Consumer Rights Day Celebrated?
▪ World Consumer Rights Day is observed annually on March 15th to protect the rights of consumers and ensure that they are not exposed to market exploitation or social injustice that could potentially compromise their rights.
When is the National Consumer Rights Day Celebrated?
▪ India celebrated National Consumer Day on December 24th to commemorate the enactment of the Consumer Protection Act, 1986, which received the president’s assent on this day. The enactment of this act is considered a significant milestone in the consumer movement in India.
World Consumer Rights Day: History
▪ In 1962, President John F Kennedy sent a significant message to the US Congress on March 15th, formally addressing the issue of consumer rights, and becoming the first global leader to do so.
▪ This inspired the establishment of World Consumer Rights Day, which was first observed by the consumer movement in 1983.
▪ Since then, the day is annually utilized to encourage efforts toward crucial issues and campaigns concerning consumer protection.
The Theme of World Consumer Rights Day 2023
▪ World leaders at COP27 in Egypt will prioritize the attainment of a just transition in the energy sector. In alignment with this objective, Consumer International has declared the theme for World Consumer Rights Day 2023 as “Empowering Consumers Through Clean Energy Transitions.”
▣ Previous Years Theme of World Consumer Rights Day ☛ 2019:Trusted smart products ☛ 2020:The Sustainable Consumer ☛ 2021: Tackling Plastic Pollution ☛ 2022:Fair Digital Finance
What is the significance of this year’s theme?
▪ This year’s theme for World Consumer Rights Day aims to empower consumers to choose low-carbon or less harmful energy sources, or any other services that cause less harm to our climate, thereby enabling us to shift from dirty energy to clean energy transitions.
▪ In our daily lives, we use many energy services that are powered by harmful energy sources which are unsuitable for our climate, such as coal-powered electricity, air travel, and private vehicles. These emit high amounts of carbon dioxide into our atmosphere.
▪ Demand-side changes have the potential to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 70% by 2050, according to the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). This is forcing consumers worldwide to change their travel habits, cooking methods, and home energy use, including heating, cooling and powering.
▪ People can catalyze significant changes by adopting low-carbon alternatives, such as choosing trains over flights or public transport over private vehicles, as well as upgrading existing systems, such as installing heat pumps or buying electric cars.
▪ Individuals are not mere spectators to be included in the clean energy transition. As actors in the marketplace, we all hold power. We are consumers of energy services and thus have the power to take action that accelerates the transition to clean energy.
▣ What is Dirty energy? ☛ The term "dirty energy" is commonly used to refer to energy production that contributes to climate change and has negative impacts on communities. Such energy projects often involve the extraction or burning of fossil fuels such as oil, gas, and coal to generate electricity, resulting in the release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
World Consumer Rights day was inspired by?
▪ World Consumer Rights Day was inspired by the 35th President of the USA John F. Kennedy, who delivered a special message to the US Congress on March 15, 1962, in which he formally addressed the issue of consumer rights. He is the first world leader to do so. The consumer movement first marked the date in 1983 and now uses the day every year to take action on important issues and campaigns.
▣ About Consumers International ☛ Consumers International is an organization for consumer groups worldwide. ☛ It was founded on 1 April 1960 with over 250 member organizations across 120 countries. ☛ This foundation’s head office is in London, England. Moreover, it has regional offices in Latin America, Africa, Asia Pacific, and the Middle East. ☛ In India Consumers International has 6 member organizations. ☛ Consumers International works to protect and promote consumer rights worldwide, and its members share information and advocate for better consumer protection and policy.
▣ 6 Member Organizations of Consumer International based in India ☛ Department of Consumer Affairs -National Capital Territory of Delhi ☛ Consumer Unity and Trust Society (CUTS) - Rajasthan ☛ Mumbai Grahak Panchayat (MGP) Bombay Consumer Forum - Maharashtra ☛ Consumer Education and Research Society (CERS) - Gujarat ☛ Chair on Consumer Law and Practice (CLAP), National Law School of India - Karnataka ☛ Citizen Consumer and Civic Action Group (CAG) - Tamil Nadu
What is the Significance of World Consumer Rights Day?
▪ World Consumer Rights Day is significant as it recognizes the fundamental rights of consumers and enlightens them on how to exercise these rights.
▪ It is crucial for everyone to be aware of their consumer rights as taking action on these rights can pave the way for many others who may be unsure or confused about how to proceed. Instead, it can foster a culture of accountability among businesses and governments to prioritize consumer needs and interests.
▪ With the rise of the digital age and globalization, the need for consumer protection has become more pressing than ever. As such, World Consumer Rights Day serves as a reminder that consumers have a voice and a right to be heard, and that their actions can have a significant impact on shaping markets.
How to Celebrate World Consumer Rights Day in focus with this year’s theme?
▪ Raise awareness about the benefits of clean energy by sharing information on social media or hosting a webinar on the topic.
▪ Organize a clean energy fair or workshop to showcase and promote low-carbon alternatives to traditional energy sources.
▪ Partner with clean energy companies to offer special discounts or incentives for those who switch to clean energy sources.
▪ Advocate for policies and regulations that support the transition to clean energy, such as renewable energy targets, carbon pricing, and energy efficiency standards.
▪ Supporting local businesses that prioritize consumer rights and environmental sustainability.
▪ Encourage people to take action by making small changes in their daily lives, such as using energy-efficient appliances, using carpooling or public transportation, and supporting renewable energy providers.
▪ Invite local businesses and organizations to participate in clean energy solutions and share their expertise.
▪ Collaborate with other consumer advocacy organizations to promote the use of clean energy and advocate for policies that benefit consumers and the environment.
▪ Organize a community clean-up or tree-planting event to help offset carbon emissions and promote environmental sustainability.
How do member countries of Consumer International take steps to celebrate this day?
▪ In Australia, a popular switching service called ‘Bill Hero’ helps people switch to cleaner energy, and a solar estimator makes it easy to get started with rooftop solar.
▪ In Yemen, people are campaigning for the safe use of solar energy as a solution to energy access problems during times of conflict and unrest.
▪ The Consumer Council of Zimbabwe is working with the energy regulator to educate people about clean cooking in urban areas.
▪ Chile is working to reduce its reliance on coal as the main source of electricity generation.
▪ In Mexico, cross-community dialogues were organized to raise awareness about the impacts of a thermoelectric power plant on vulnerable populations.
World Consumer Rights Day Quiz?
1. When is World Consumer Rights Day observed?
A. March 8th
B. March 15th
C. April 22nd
D. May 1st
Answer –B. March 15th
2. World Consumer Rights Day was inspired by which world leader?
A. Nelson Mandela
B. Mahatma Gandhi
C. John F Kennedy
D. Martin Luther King Jr.
Answer –C. John F Kennedy
3. Which organization established World Consumer Rights Day?
A. United Nations
B. Consumer International
C. World Health Organization
D. International Monetary Fund
Answer –B. Consumer International
4. The theme of World Consumer Rights Day 2023 was focused on which issue?
A. Sustainable Consumption
B. Digital Transformation
C. Empower Consumers Through Clean Energy Transitions
D. Tackling Plastic Pollution
Answer: C. Building a Digital World Consumers can Trust
Answer –C. Empower Consumers Through Clean Energy Transitions
5. Which of the following is a consumer right protected under the Consumer Protection Act?
A. Right to fair advertising
B. Right to free healthcare
C. Right to vote
D. Right to privacy
Answer –A. Right to fair advertising
6. Which country has a Consumer Protection Act that aims to protect the rights of consumers?
A. United States
Answer –D. India
7. What is the main goal of World Consumer Rights Day?
A. To promote international trade
B. To protect the rights of consumers
C. To encourage product development
D. To promote fair competition
Answer –B. To protect the rights of consumers
8. Which of the following are consumer rights?
A. Right to seek Redressal
B. Right to be heard
C. Right to choice
D. All of the above
Answer –D. All of the above
9. In which year was the first World Consumer Rights Day observed?
Answer –C. 1983
10. What is the significance of World Consumer right day?
A. an opportunity to promote the basic rights of all consumers
B. Demand those rights that must be respected and protected
C. for those protests protesting against market abuses and social injustice
D. all of these
Answer –D. all of these
Also See, Amazon World Consumer Rights Day Quiz Answers Today – Win ₹10000 Pay Balance
World Consumer Rights Day Quotes
▪”A market without consumers will be a night sky without the stars and moon. Protect their rights and serve them the best for greater reputation and fame.”
▪ “Consumers are the lifeblood of the economy, and their welfare should be a top priority for all businesses and governments.”
▪ “The consumer is not a moron; she is your wife.” – David Ogilvy
▪ “The customer’s perception is your reality.” – Kate Zabriskie
▪ “Consumers have real power – use it.”
▪ “The purpose of a business is to create a customer who creates customers.” – Peter Drucker
▪ “The consumer is the ultimate driver of a successful business.”
▪ “The customer experience is the next competitive battleground.” – Jerry Gregoire
▪ “Consumer protection is not just about fighting for the rights of individuals. It is about protecting the entire society from harmful business practices.”
▪ “A satisfied customer is the best business strategy of all.” – Michael LeBoeuf
▪ “If you give every customer their rights, they will become your loyal ones and make sure that their closed group also does business with you.”
▪ “It takes honesty and gentleness to make a consumer happy. Practice it harder every time for greater success.”
▪ “Without consumers, all the businesses of the market would have vanished. They are the supreme and prima donna of this demand-supply chain.”
▪ “The most important adage and the only adage is, the customer comes first, whatever the business, the customer comes first.” – Kerry Stokes
▪ “You can beat all other competition by teaming up with the customers and speaking for them.”
World Consumers Day 2023: Wishes, Messages & WhatsApp Status
▪ “The key to a happy consumer is honesty and attentiveness. May you always practice these values? Best wishes on National Consumer Rights Day.”
▪ “Happy National Consumer Rights Day! May we always strive to provide exceptional service and exceed our consumers’ expectations, paving the way for a brighter future?”
▪ “Consumers are the lifeblood of any business, and it is our duty to show them our gratitude and respect. We wish you a happy National Consumer Rights Day as we pledge to put their needs first.”
▪ “Businesses that ignore the power of consumers’ voices will fail. Let’s celebrate National Consumer Rights Day by listening and responding to their needs.”
▪ “Every consumer matters and deserves respect. Here’s wishing you a happy National Consumer Rights Day as we respect their rights and recognize their value.”
▪ “Winning a consumer’s trust today can lead to lifelong loyalty and prosperity. On National Consumer Rights Day, let’s strive to build stronger relationships with our clients.”
▪ “By staying in tune with your consumers’ needs, you can exceed their expectations. Have a happy National Consumer Rights Day filled with insights and opportunities.”
▪ “Treat your consumers like royalty, because they are the foundation of your success. Happy National Consumer Rights Day.”
World Consumer Rights Day in a Nutshell
|1||Official Name||World Consumer Rights Day|
|4||Theme 2023||Empowering Consumers Through Clean Energy Transitions|
|6||National Consumer Day||24 December|
|7||Inspired by||John F. Kennedy, President of the USA|
|8||Established by||Consumer International|
|9||Consumer International Found||1 April 1960|
|10||Significance||To raise awareness of consumer rights and promote consumer protection globally|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Answer: Every year, March 15th is celebrated as World Consumer Rights Day.
Answer: World Consumer Rights Day was inspired by former US President John F Kennedy.
Answer: 15 March
Answer: Every year on March 15th, World Consumer Rights Day is celebrated to raise awareness about consumer rights and promote consumer protection on a global scale.
Answer: “Empowering Consumers Through Clean Energy Transitions.”
Answer: first observed by the consumer movement in 1983
Answer: Former US President John F Kennedy, who sent a special message to the US Congress on 15th March 1962, in which he formally addressed the issue of consumer rights.
World Consumer Rights Day provides an essential platform to raise awareness and voice concerns against fraudulent trade practices that can harm consumers. By shedding light on these issues, consumers can advocate for their rights and contribute to positive change. Therefore, it is a day that people look forward to as an opportunity to bring about improvements in the world of consumer protection.
3 thoughts on “World Consumer Rights Day 2023 Theme, Date, History, Quiz, Wishes, Messages, Quotes, WhatsApp Status & More to Share On This Day”
Good post. It would have been excellent if the theme is also elaborated.
Thank you for your information. It is like six sense for everyone. Long live consumers.
The whole article was summed up in a very brief and simple way. It was too good 👍