India is well known as a country of rivers, we have built many bridges to face all the obstacles created by rivers. India has a vast network of 1,47,523 bridges across the country. In this article, we have discussed the top 10 longest bridges in India along with the key points.
What is Bridge?
• A bridge is a structure built to encompass a physical obstacle (such as a water body, river, road, or rail) without blocking or obstructing the path, such as a water body, rail, or ravine, for the purpose of providing passage over the obstacle.
List of Top 10 Longest Bridge In India
• The 9.15 Km long, Dhola Sadiya Bridge or Dr. Bhupen Hazarika Bridge is India’s longest bridge over the River Brahmaputra, in Assam. It was inaugurated by Prime Narendra Modi, in 2020. Here, is the list of the top 10 longest bridges in India
|Sl. No||Bridge Name||River||Distance||Opened||Type||State||City|
|1||Bhupen Hazarika Setu / Dhola–Sadiya Bridge||Lohit River||9,150||2017||Road||Assam||Tinsukia|
|2||Dibang River Bridge||Dibang River||6,200||2018||Road||Arunachal Pradesh||Bomjur-Meka|
|3||Mahatma Gandhi Setu||Ganges River||5,750||1982||Road||Bihar||Patna–Hajipur|
|4||Bandra-Worli Sea Link||Mahim bay||5,600||2009||Road||Maharashtra||Mumbai|
|5||Bogibeel Bridge||Brahmaputra River||4,940||2018||Rail-cum-road||Assam||Dibrugarh|
|6||Vikramshila Setu||Ganges River||4,700||2001||Road||Bihar||Bhagalpur|
|7||Vembanad Rail Bridge||Vembanad Lake||4,620||2011||Rail||Kerala||Kochi|
|8||Digha–Sonpur Bridge||Ganges River||4,556||2016||Rail-cum-road||Bihar||Patna–Sonpur|
|9||Arrah–Chhapra Bridge||Ganges River||4,350||2017||Road||Bihar||Arrah–Chhapra|
|10||Godavari Fourth Bridge (Kovvur–Rajahmundry 4th Bridge)||Godavari River||4,135||2015||Road||Andhra Pradesh||Rajahmundry|
Brief information about the longest bridges in India
Dhola Sadia Bridge
• Dhola Sadiya Bridge also known as the Bhupen Hazarika Setu.
• It is the longest railway bridge in India.
• Total length of Bhupen Hazarika Setu is 9.15 km.
• The bridge is built over the Lohit River. (a tributary of the Brahmaputra river)
• It connects the Northeast state of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
• It was opened in 2017.
Dibang River Bridge
• It is the second longest bridge with 6.2 km of length.
• It is built over the Dibang river.
• The bridge connects Bomjir and Malek Villages of Arunachal Pradesh.
• The bridge was completed in 2018.
• It is a part of NH13 Trans-Arunachal Highway.
Mahatma Gandhi Setu
• The Mahatma Gandhi Setu is the third Longest Bridge in India.
• The bridge was built over the Ganga River and is also known as Ganga Setu.
• The length of the Mahatma Gandhi Setu is 5.75 km.
• It connects Patna in the south to Hajipur in the North of Bihar.
• The bridge was built by the Indira Gandhi government and was the longest bridge till 2017.
Bandra Worli Sea Link
• Bandra-Worli Sea Link (BWSL) or Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link is the 4th longest bridge in India.
• Length of the Sea Link 5.6 km.
• It is a cable-stayed bridge that connects Bandra in the Western Suburbs of Mumbai with Worli in South Mumbai.
• Also, it is India’s longest bridge over the ocean.
• It is the 5th longest bridge in India.
• Total length 4.94 km.
• The bridge was built over the Brahmaputra river.
• It connects Dhemaji district and Dibrugarh district in the Indian state of Assam.
Vikram Shila Setu
• Vikramshila Setu is the 6th longest bridge over water in India with a length of 4.7 km.
• Vikramshila Setu is built across the Ganga River near Bhagalpur, Bihar.
• The bridge is named after the ancient Mahavihara of Vikramsila which was founded by King Dharmapala (783 to 820 AD).
• It serves as a link between NH 33 and NH 31 running on the opposite side of the Ganga.
• It is the 7th longest railway bridge in India.
• Total length of the bridge is 4.63 km.
• It is situated in Kochi Kerala.
• The bridge connects Edappally and Vallarpadam in Kochi.
• The bridge is built on Vembanad Lake which is the longest lake in India.
• It is the second longest railway bridge in India.
Digha Sonpur Bridge
• Digha-Sonpur Bridge which is also known as J.P Setu named after Jayaprakash Narayan.
• It is a rail-cum-road bridge across the river Ganga.
• With a length of 4.55 km, it is the 8th longest bridge in India.
• It connects Digha Ghat in Patna and Pahleja Ghat in Sonpur, Saran.
• It is the second longest rail-cum-road bridge in India, after Bogibeel Bridge in Assam.
Arrah Chhapra Bridge
• Arrah-Chhapra Bridge also known as Veer Kunwar Singh Setu.
• Total length of Veer Kunwar Singh Setu is 4.35 km in.
• The bridge is built across the Ganga River and connects Arrah and Chhapra in the Saran district of Bihar.
• It is the longest multi-span extradosed bridge in the world with the main bridge length of 1,920 m.
• It is the 9th longest bridge above water in India.
Arch Bridge Godavari
• Godavari Bridge, built upon the Godavari River.
• It is the 10th longest Railway bridge in India.
• The length of this Rail-cum-road bridge is 4.13.
• It connects Kovvur to Rajahmundry junction in Rajamahendravaram.
• It is India’s third longest road-cum-rail bridge crossing a water body.
Largest sea bridge in India 2023
• The Bandra-Worli Sea Link, also known as the Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link is the largest as well as longest sea bridge in India.
• The bridge connects the city of Mumbai with the western suburbs of Bandra and Worli. It spans a distance of 5.6 kilometers (3.5 mi) across the Arabian Sea.
• The bridge was designed to ease Mumbai’s traffic congestion and enhance connectivity between the city and its suburbs.
• It was completed in 2010 and is now a major transportation route in the region.
Highest Railway Bridge in India
• The Chenab Bridge, also known as the Maharaja Hari Singh Bridge, is currently the highest railway bridge in India.
• It is a steel truss arch bridge between Bakkal and Kauri, spanning the Chenab River in the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
• The bridge is 359 meters (1,178 ft) long and was inaugurated on 13 August 2022.
• Currently, it is the world’s highest railway bridge, surpassing the current record holder, the Sidu River Bridge in China, which stands at 341 meters (1,119 ft).
• The Chenab Bridge is being constructed as part of the Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Rail Link Project, which aims to improve connectivity and transportation in the region.
Highest Railway Bridge in India Infographic
Biggest or Longest Bridge in India 2023
• Dhola-Sadia Bridge, also known as Bhupen Hazarika Bridge, is currently the longest and largest bridge in India.
• It is a cable-stayed bridge that spans the Lohit River in the state of Assam, connecting the towns of Dhola and Sadiya.
• The bridge is 9.15 kilometers (5.7 miles) long and was completed in 2017.
• It is a significant transportation link in the region, serving as a key route for the movement of goods and people between Assam and the rest of the country.
Key Points about the top 10 longest Bridges in India
• Longest Bridge in India ☛ Dhola Sadiya Bridge / Bhupen Hazarika Setu
• Longest Bridge above water in India ☛ Dhola Sadiya Bridge / Bhupen Hazarika Setu
• Longest river Bridge in India ☛ Dhola Sadiya Bridge / Bhupen Hazarika Setu
• Second-longest bridge in India ☛ Dibang River Bridge
• Second-longest bridge above water in India ☛ Dibang River Bridge
• 4th longest bridge in India ☛ Bandra–Worli Sea Link / Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link
• 4th longest bridge over water in India ☛ Bandra–Worli Sea Link / Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link
• Longest sea bridge in India ☛ Bandra–Worli Sea Link / Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link
• Longest rail-cum-road bridge in India ☛ Bogibeel river bridge
• Second longest rail-cum-road bridge in India ☛ Digha–Sonpur bridge / J. P. Setu
• Longest railway bridge in India ☛ Vembanad Rail Bridge
• Longest multi-span extradosed bridge in the world ☛ Arrah–Chhapra Bridge / Veer Kunwar Singh Setu
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on to 10 longest Bridge in India
Answer: Dhola Sadiya Bridge or Bhupen Hazarika Setu
Answer: Vembanad Rail Bridge
Answer: Dhola Sadiya Bridge or Bhupen Hazarika Setu
Answer: Chenab Bridge (359 meters)
Answer: Bogibeel river bridge
Answer: Assam (Dhola–Sadiya Bridge)
Answer: Anji Khad Bridge (Jammu and Kashmir)