“Highest mountain peaks in India” is an important topic for various competitive exams. Often 1-2 questions are asked in various competitive exams. Here we provide a state-wise list of mountain peaks of List of highest points with the previous year’s questions, asked in SSC.
List of State-wise Highest Mountain Peaks in India
|Andhra Pradesh||Arma Konda||Eastern Ghats||1,680m|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Kangto (shared with Tibet) (Kangto lies on the Arunachal Pradesh-Tibet border)||Eastern Himalaya||7,090m|
|Assam||Unnamed peak||Dima Hasao District||1,960m|
|Bihar||Someshwar Fort||West Champaran District||880m|
|Chhattisgarh||Gaurlata||Bailadila Range ,Dantewada District||1,225m|
|Haryana||Karoh Peak||Morni Hills||1,499m|
|Himachal Pradesh||ReoPurgyil (shared with Tibet) ( ReoPurgyil lies on the Himachal Pradesh-Tibet border)||Western Himalaya||6,816m|
|Madhya Pradesh||Dhupgarh||Satpura Range||1,350m|
|Manipur||Mount Iso (Tempu)||Senapati District||2,994m|
|Meghalaya||Shillong Peak||Khasi Hills||1,965m|
|Nagaland||Mount Saramati (Shared with Myanmar) (MountSaramati lies on the Nagaland-Myanmar border.)||Naga Hills||3,841m|
|Punjab||Unnamed point on the Naina Devi range||Rupnagar District||1,000m|
|Rajasthan||Guru Shikhar||Aravalli Range||1,722m|
|Sikkim||Kangchenjunga (Shared withNepal) (Kangchenjunga lies on the Sikkim-Nepal border)||Eastern Himalaya||8,598m|
|Tamil Nadu||Doddabetta||Nilgiri Hills||2,636m|
|Telangana||Doli Gutta||Deccan Plateau||670m|
|Uttar Pradesh||Amsot Peak||Shivalik Hills||957m|
|Uttarakhand||Nanda Devi||Garhwal Himalaya||7,816m|
|West Bengal||Sandakphu (Shared with Nepal)||Singalila Ridge||3,636m|
Highest Mountain Peaks of Union Territories
|Ladakh||Saltoro Kangri (shared with Pakistan)||Saltoro Range||7742m|
|Andaman & Nicobar Islands||Saddle Peak||North Andaman|
|Chandigarh||Unnamed point||Sivalik Hills||383m|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu||Unnamed point||Western Ghats||424m|
|Delhi||Tughlaqabad Fort||Delhi Ridge|
of Aravalli Range
|Lakshadweep||Unnamed point||Agatti Island||15m|
|Puducherry||Unnamed point||Red Hills||30m|
State-wise Highest Mountain Peaks in India Map
List of the 10 highest mountain peaks in India
In the table below we have described the top 10 highest peaks in India.
|Mountain Peak||Height (metres)||Location|
|K2||8611 m||Karakoram range, Gilgit-Baltistan and Xinjiang region, POK|
|Kangchenjunga||8586 m||Himalayan Mountain Range, Sikkim|
|Nanda Devi||7816 m||Himalayan mountain Range, Chamoli, Uttarakhand|
|Kamet||7756 m||Himalayas, Garhwal Himalaya, Uttarakhand|
|Saltoro Kangri||7742 m||Saltoro range (a part of Karakoram Mountain range)|
|Saser Kangri||7672 m||Ladakh, Karakoram, Saser Muztagh range|
|7516 m||Karakoram Range, Ladakh|
|Rimo I||7385 m||Part of Rimo Muztagh, a subrange of Great Karakoram range.|
|Hardeol||7120 m||Kumaon Himalayas, Uttarakhand|
|Chaukhamba I||7138 m||Garhwal district, Uttrakhand|
|Trisul I||7120 m||Western Kumaun region of Uttarakhand.|
List of highest mountain peaks in India map
Major Facts about the Mountain Peaks in India
Height: 8586 meter
• Kangchenjunga is the third-highest mountain in the world.
• It lies between India and Nepal.
• Kangchenjunga was first climbed on 25 May 1955 by Joe Brown and George Band.
• They were part of the 1955 British Kangchenjunga expedition.
Height: 7816 meter
• It is the second-highest mountain in India after Kangchenjunga.
• Also, it is the highest peak of India entirely located in India, because of the Kangchenjunga located border of Idia and Nepal.
• The name of the peak, Nanda Devi means “Bliss-Giving Goddess”.
• Nanda Devi National Park was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1988.
Kanggardo Rize or Kangto
• It is the highest peak of Arunachal Pradesh.
• The peak shares its border with the Tibet Autonomous Region of China.
• Mount Kangto is the source of the Pachuk river.
• The Pachuk river is one of the main tributaries of the Kameng river in the East Kameng district.
• Sandakphu altitude: 3636 meters.
• Sandakphu height in feet: 11929 feet
• Sandakphu lies on the West Bengal and Nepal border.
• It is a mountain peak on Singalila Ridge.
• It is the highest point of the ridge and the state of West Bengal.
• The peak is located at the edge of the Singalila National Park.
• Sandakphu is a famous trekking destination for most travelers in West Bengal.
• Mount Tempü is a peak rising at the mountainous border of Manipur and Nagaland in India.
Highest Peak of Indian States.
• Anamudi is located in the Idukki district of the Indian state of Kerala.
• It is the highest peak of Kerala as well as the Western Ghats, and entire Peninsular India.
• The name Anamudi literally translates to “elephant’s head”.
• Anamudi peak also known as the “Everest of South India”.
• It is also known as Blue Mountain.
• It is the highest mountain peak in the Mizo Hills (Lushai Hills).
• Currently it is the highest peak in Mizoram, India.
• The peak Guru Shikhar is located in the Arbuda Mountains of Rajasthan.
• It is the highest point of the Aravalli Range.
• It is named Guru-Shikhar or ‘the peak of the guru’ after Dattatreya, an incarnation of Vishnu.
• Parasnath is a mountain peak in the Parasnath Range.
• It is located in the Giridih district of the Indian state of Jharkhand, India.
• The hill is named after Lord Parshvanatha, the 23rd Tirthankara.
Saddle Peak or Saddle Hill
• It is located on North Andaman Island in India’s Andaman and the Nicobar Islands.
• It is the highest point of the archipelago in the Bay of Bengal.
• It is surrounded by Saddle Peak National Park.
• It is located near Diglipur, a town in North Andaman Island.
• Mount Dhupgarh is the highest point in the Mahadeo Hills.
• Mahadeo Hills is located in the Satpura Range, Madhya Pradesh, India.
• Trisul is a group of three Himalayan mountain peaks.
• It is located in the western Kumaun region of Uttarakhand.
• The three peaks resemble a trident or Trishula. (Trident, is the weapon of Lord Shiva)
• Amsot peak is located in the Saharanpur district of the Shivalik Hills in the state of Uttar Pradesh.
• Amsot Peak is the highest mountain peak in Uttar Pradesh.
Previous Year Questions from “highest mountain peaks in India”
1. Nandadevi peak is located in _____ State
(SSC CGL Tier-I (CBE) Exam.31.08.2016 (2nd Sitting))
A. Himachal Pradesh
C. Uttar Pradesh
2. The highest mountain peak in Peninsular India is?
Highest Peak of Indian States
3. ‘Saddle Peak’ the highest peak of Andaman and Nicobar Islands is located in?
(SSC Multi-Tasking Staff
Exam. 17.03.2013, Kolkata Region)
A. Great Nicobar
B. Middle Andaman
C. Little Andaman
D. North Andaman
4. In which State is the Guru Shikhar peak located?
(SSC FCI Assistant Grade-III
Exam. 11.11.2012 (2nd Sitting)
C. Madhya Pradesh
5. Gurushikhar is a/the
(SSC (10+2) Level Data Entry
Operator & LDC Exam. 21.10.2012
A. Shipping Yard of Andhra Pradesh
B. great guru of Sikhs
C. famous hunting spot of the Himalayas
D. highest peak of the Aravallis
6. Which is the highest peak to the south of the Vindhyas?
(SSC Combined Matric Level (PRE)
Exam. 16.06.2002 (Re-Exam)
7. Guru Shikhar on the Abu Hills is the highest peak of which
Highest Peak of Indian States mountain ranges?
(SSC Combined Matric Level (PRE)
Exam. 05.05.2002 (Ist Sitting)
(Eastern Zone, Guwahati)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1. How many mountain peaks are there in India?
Answer: 13,857 named mountain peaks
Q2. Nanda devi peak is located in which state?
Answer: Chamoli District, Uttarakhand
Q3. Aanamudi peak is located in which hills?
Answer: Anaimalai Hills
Q4. In which state is the guru Shikhar peak located?
Answer: Rajasthan (the highest peak of the Aravalli Range)
Q5. Which is the highest mountain peak of India entirely located in India?
Answer: Nanda Devi mountain peak
Download PDF – Click Here
View All the Topics of Indian Geography – Click here