Search engines are an important tool for accessing information quickly and efficiently, without the need to sift through numerous irrelevant web pages. While Google is a popular search engine, there are other options available on the market, such as Bing, Yahoo, and Baidu. It is important to consider these alternative search engines when conducting research or searching for information online.
In this article, we have listed the top 10 search engines in the world, based on various parameters.
What is a Search Engine?
• A search engine is a software program that is created to conduct web searches. It searches the World Wide Web (WWW) in a systematic way for particular information that has been specified in a text-based web search query.
• The search results are then presented in a single line, known as search engine results pages (SERPs). These SERPs contain information that is relevant to the search query and can help users find the information they are looking for quickly and efficiently.
Top 10 Most Popular Search Engines In The World
• Below is a list of the top 10 search engines in 2023 based on their global market share:
- Microsoft Bing
- Internet Archive
Top 10 Search Engines in Terms of Share of Visits
• Here are the top 10 search engines in the United States in terms of share of visits.
|Ranking||Search Engine||Share of visits (%) in US|
Top 10 Search Engines in Terms of Market Share
• Google currently dominates the global search engine market, holding a massive 92.57 percent of the total market share. The popularity of the Google Search engine is so vast that it surpasses any other search engine in the world by a considerable margin.
|Ranking||Search Engine||Market Share|
Top 10 Search Engines in Terms of Popularity
• For many people, searching the internet can be an intimidating task, especially when relying solely on Google. However, it is important to note that there are several other search engines available on the internet that serve millions of daily search queries. While Google and Bing are the most popular search engines, there are other search engines that may not be as well-known but are still highly useful for conducting searches.
|Ranking||Search Engine||Popularity %|
|2||Bing||between 2.83% and 12.31%|
|4||Baidu||between 0.68% and 11.26%|
|5||Yandex||between 0.5% and 1.16%|
What are the two famous search engines in India?
Google and Bing are the two most popular search engines in India. Google has a 98.71% market share in India, while Bing search engine has a 0.96% market share.
Top 5 search engines in India
Here are the top 5 search engines in terms of Market Share in India, as of April 2022.
|Ranking||Search Engine||Market Share %|
Top 6 Search engines in USA
|Ranking||Search Engine||Market Share %|
Key Points about the popular search engines
Google search engine
• Google was introduced to the world in 1997.
• Currently, it is the most popular search engine in the world.
• More than 3.5 billion searches are made every day using Google.
• Google is so popular that its technology empowers other search engines like Ask.com.
• The popular search engine “Google” derives its name from the word “Googol”. The word “Googol” here means a number followed by one hundred zeros.
• The term (google) was coined by then-nine-year-old Milton Sirotta, nephew of the American mathematician Edward Kasner.
• Kasner had asked his nephew (Milton Sirotta) to invent a name for a very large number, such as ten to the power of one hundred (the numeral one followed by 100 zeros), and Milton called it a googol.
◉ What makes Google the most popular and trusted search engine?
• Currently Google has become the most popular and trusted search engine due to the quality of its search results.
• Google is using sophisticated algorithms to present the most accurate results to users and day by day they are developing new algorithms to make it more accurate.
• Google is generally faster than other search engines in returning results. It is able to provide millions of results in less than 1 second.
• Over the years the Google ranking algorithm has been enriched with hundreds of other factors to help us find exactly what we are looking for on the Internet.
Bing Search Engine
• Bing search engine developed by Microsoft.
• It was launched in 2009.
• Bing is the default search engine in the Microsoft web browser.
• Baidu is the most used (76.05% market share in China) search engine in China.
• It was founded in January 2000 by Chinese Entrepreneur, Eric Xu.
• Baidu offers other community services such as Baidu Baike (an online encyclopedia), Baidu Wangpan (a cloud storage service), and Baidu Tieba (a keyword-based discussion forum).
• Jerry Yang and David Filo established Yahoo in January 1994.
• It provides other services such as My Yahoo!, Yahoo Mail, Yahoo News, Yahoo Finance, Yahoo Sports, and its advertising platform, Yahoo! Native.
• Yandex search engine Launched in 1997.
• It is the most used search engine in Russia.
• Yandex is also widely used in Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Belarus, and Turkey.
• It provides other services like Yandex Maps, Yandex Music, online translator, and Yandex Money.
Country-wise search engine list
• Here is the search engine and country of origin list.
|Sl. No||Search Engine||Country||Ownership|
|2||Bing||New Mexico, USA||Microsoft Bing|
|6||DuckDuckGo||California, USA||Microsoft Bing|
|7||Ecosia||Berlin, Germany||Microsoft Bing|
|9||Naver||South Korea||Naver Corporation|
Search Engine Popularity by Country
|Country||Search Engine||Popularity %|
Top questions from this topic for competitive exams
Q1. The popular search engine “Google” derives its name from the
word “Googol”. What does the word mean? [ SSC CHSL (10+2) DEO & LDC 2014]
A. To search
B. To index
C. To crawl
D. The numeral one followed by a hundred zeros
Answer: The numeral one followed by a hundred zeros
Q2. Baidu is a popular search engine in which country?
Q3. “Google” is a _
A. System Software
B. Search Engine
C. Operating System
D. None of these
Answer: Search Engine
Q4. Which of the following is a search engine?
Q5. Who developed Bing, the second most popular search engine after Google?
D. Eric Xu
Q6. Which of the following is not a search engine?
A. Windows 7
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
• Baidu holds a 76.05% market share in China’s search engine market.
Answer: Microsoft Bing
• The second most popular search engine worldwide is Microsoft Bing.
Answer: Although Google is the most popular search engine, there are several other search engines besides Google such as Bing, Yahoo!, Yandex, DuckDuckGo, and Baidu.
• Google is currently in the first position in the list of popular search engines.
• Google is also the world’s largest and most commonly used search engine.
Answer: Google, Bing, Yahoo, Yandex, Baidu