This article covers all the key news stories related to museums, including new exhibits, renovations, and other major developments. It is a useful resource for staying up-to-date on the latest happenings in the museum world.
Museum in News January to December 2023
Museum in News August 2023
▪ Union Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has laid the foundation stone for the ‘Iconic Site Museum’ at Adichanallur archaeological site in Tamil Nadu.
▪ The Nehru Memorial Museum and Library has officially been renamed as the Prime Ministers’ Museum and Library Society in New Delhi.
“Museum in News”: July 2023
▪ India and France recently entered into the “Horizon 2047” agreement, encompassing numerous joint projects. One significant milestone in this collaboration is France’s selection as India’s partner to establish a prestigious National Museum in New Delhi.
▪ Recently, the newly constructed National Martyr’s Memorial and National Railway Protection Museum has been inaugurated in Lucknow.
▪ The Yuge Yugeen Bharat National Museum, the largest museum in the world, is being built in New Delhi.
• The museum will cover an area of 1.17 lakh sqm (129,000 sq ft) and will be divided into eight thematic zones, each of which will focus on a different aspect of Indian history and culture. • The zones will include the Indus Valley Civilization, the Vedic Age, the Buddhist Era, the Gupta Empire, the Mughal Empire, the British Raj, Modern India, and the Future of India. • The museum is expected to be completed by 2026 and will be a major tourist attraction and a valuable resource for scholars and researchers from all over the world.
“Museum in News”: April-May-June 2023
▪ In a recent development, the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library Society in Delhi has undergone a name change and is now known as the Prime Ministers’ Museum and Library Society.
▪ Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi is scheduled to inaugurate the International Museum Expo 2023 in New Delhi.
During the event, the Prime Minister will unveil the expo's mascot, a stylized version of the iconic dancing girl from Mohenjo-Daro, depicted in the form of Channapatna toys. Additionally, Prime Minister Modi will launch a virtual walkthrough of the forthcoming Yuge Yugeen Bharat National Museum, which will be located in the North Block and South Block. The museum aims to showcase India's rich civilizational culture spanning 5,000 years.
▪ International Museum Day (IMD) is observed on 18th May.
The theme of 2023 IMD is: “Museums, Sustainability, and Well-being.”
“Museum in News”: February-March 2023
▪ Tamil Nadu’s Chief Minister M.K. Stalin inaugurated the Keeladi Museum in the Sivaganga district, which highlights the lifestyle of ancient Tamils from the Sangam Age. The museum offers visitors an array of antiques, as well as virtual reality experiences of the excavations and models of Sangam Age ships.
“Museum in News”: January 2023
▪ The world’s first Palm-leaf Manuscript Museum has been inaugurated in Kerala.
▪ The National Council of Science Museums (NCSM) and Nehru Memorial Museum & Library (NMML), jointly inaugurated Astro Tourism – A Sky Gazing event under the banner of Amrit Mahotsav of Independence, at India Gate Lawns, Kartavya Path, New Delhi, Delhi.