In a move to honor the birth anniversary of Sadhu TL Vaswani and promote non-violence, the Yogi Adityanath-led Uttar Pradesh government has declared November 25 as a “no non-veg day”. This means all slaughterhouses and meat shops in the state will remain closed on this day.
Why November 25th?
- November 25th marks the birth anniversary of Sadhu Thanwardas Lilaram Vaswani, a renowned educationist and advocate for vegetarianism.
- The Sadhu Vaswani Mission, founded to carry on his legacy, has observed International Meatless Day on this date annually since his passing.
‘No non-veg day’ in UP tomorrow, all meat shops ordered shut— IndiaToday (@IndiaToday) November 24, 2023
November 25 has been declared as "no non-veg day" across Uttar Pradesh to mark the birth anniversary of Sadhu TL Vaswani.
Every year on this date, all meat shops and slaughterhouses will remain shut.#UttarPradesh… pic.twitter.com/LYokmHuuvM
Government Circular about No Non-Veg Day
- The government issued a circular instructing all urban local bodies to ensure the closure of slaughterhouses and meat shops on November 25th.
- This circular highlights the government’s previous decisions to observe similar meat-free days on major festivals like Gandhi Jayanti and Shivratri.
Who was Sadhu Vaswani?
- Born in 1879, Sadhu Vaswani was a prominent figure in Indian education and social reform.
- He founded the Mira Movement and dedicated his life to promoting spirituality, education, and social welfare.
- Vaswani was a staunch advocate for non-violence and vegetarianism, believing they were essential for spiritual growth and societal well-being.
BREAKING : UP's Yogi Adityanath Govt declared 25th November 2023 as 'No non-veg day' on the occasion of the birth anniversary of Sadhu TL Vaswani. All slaughterhouses and meat shops remain closed on the day. Violation of the rule will result in strict action. pic.twitter.com/NbixKGAMVP— Baba Banaras™ (@RealBababanaras) November 24, 2023
Also Read: All Latest Importsant Days and Themes 2023
Halal Ban in Uttar Pradesh
- This recent announcement comes shortly after the UP government decided to ban Halal-certified products, including food items, medicines, and cosmetics.
- The government cited concerns about the parallel system created by Halal certification and its potential to mislead consumers.
- The UP government has declared November 25th as “no non-veg day” in honor of Sadhu Vaswani’s birth anniversary and to promote non-violence.
- All slaughterhouses and meat shops in the state will be closed on this day.
- This move comes alongside the previously implemented ban on Halal-certified products in Uttar Pradesh.
- The Sadhu Vaswani Mission continues to organize various activities and initiatives to promote vegetarianism and other aspects of Vaswani’s philosophy.
- The impact of the “no non-veg day” on meat consumption and economic activity in the state remains to be seen.
- The long-term implications of the government’s decision to ban Halal-certified products are subject to ongoing discussion and debate.