Dams and reservoirs in India are another important issue for any competitive exams. In this article we have listed the major reservoirs of India with some important information.
Major Reservoirs in India
|Govind Ballabh Pant Sagar||Rihand River||Uttar Pradesh|
|Gobind Sagar Reservoir||Sutlej River||Himachal Pradesh|
|Maharana Pratap Sagar Reservoir or Pong Reservoir||Beas River||Himachal Pradesh|
|Dindi Reservoir||Dindi River||Telangana|
|Lower Manair Reservoir||Manair River||Telangana|
|Tatipudi Reservoir Project||Gosthani River||Andhra Pradesh|
|P.C.R.Reservoir or Gandipalem Reservoir||Pillaperu River||Andhra Pradesh|
|Himayat Sagar Reservoir||Esi River||Telangana|
|Shriram Sagar Reservoir / Pochampadu Project||Godavari River||Telangana|
|Ghataprabha Reservoir||Ghataprabha River||Karnataka|
|Hemavathi Reservoir||Hemavati River||Karnataka|
|Tawa Reservoir||Tawa River||Madhya Pradesh|
|Balimela Reservoir||Sileru River||Odisha|
|Aliyar Reservoir||Aliyar River||Tamil Nadu|
|Chittar Reservoir||Chittar River||Tamil Nadu|
|Krishnagiri Reservoir||Thenpennai River||Tamil Nadu|
|Manimuthar Reservoir||Tamirabarani River||Tamil Nadu|
|Pechiparai Reservoir||Kodayar River||Tamil Nadu|
|Shoolagiri Chinnar Reservoir||Chinnar River||Tamil Nadu|
|Thunakadavu Reservoir||Thunacadavu River||Tamil Nadu|
|Varattu Pallam Reservoir||Kaveri River||Tamil Nadu|
|Vidur Reservoir||Sankaraparani River||Tamil Nadu|
|Amaravathi Reservoir||Amaravathi River||Tamil Nadu|
|Gundar Reservoir||Gundar River||Tamil Nadu|
|Kullursandai Reservoir||Kowsiga River||Tamil Nadu|
|Pambar Reservoir||Pambar River||Tamil Nadu|
|Periyar Reservoir||Periyar River||Tamil Nadu|
|Stanley Reservoir||Kaveri River||Tamil Nadu|
|Uppar Reservoir||Uppar River||Tamil Nadu|
|Vattamalaikarai Odai Reservoir||Odai River||Tamil Nadu|
|Willingdon Reservoir||Periya Odai River||Tamil Nadu|
|Bhavanisagar Reservoir||Bhavani River||Tamil Nadu|
|Kodaganar Reservoir||Kodagananar River||Tamil Nadu|
|Manimukthanadhi Reservoir||Krishna River||Tamil Nadu|
|Parambikulam Reservoir||Parambikulam River||Tamil Nadu|
|Sholayar Reservoir||Chalakkud River||Tamil Nadu|
|Thirumurthi Reservoir||Parmabikulam and Aliyar River||Tamil Nadu|
|Varadamanadhi Reservoir||Aliyar River||Tamil Nadu|
|Vembakottai Reservoir||Vaippar River||Tamil Nadu|
|Manjalar Reservoir||Manjalar River||Tamil Nadu|
|Salal Project||Chenab River||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Chutak Hydroelectric Project||Suru River||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Indirasagar Project||Narmada River||Madhya Pradesh|
|Narmada Dam Project||Narmada River||Madhya Pradesh|
Important Facts about Reservoirs in India
- Largest Manmade reservoir in India – Gobind Ballabh Pant Sagar
◘ About Gobind Ballabh Pant Sagar
• Govind Ballabh Pant Sagar reservoir formed by Rihand Dam.
• It is the India’s largest artificial lake.
• Rihand Dam is a concrete gravity dam located at Pipri in Sonbhadra District in Uttar Pradesh, India.
• The reservoir area is on the border of Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.
• The reservoir is located on the Rihand River, a tributary of the Son River.
• The catchment area of this dam extends over Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh & Chhattisgarh whereas it supplies irrigation water in Bihar located downstream of the river.
Note:- Keep in mind that Gobind Ballabh Pant Sagar and Gobind Sagar both are different Reservoir.
About Gobind Sagar
• Gobind Sagar Lake is a reservoir situated in Una and Bilaspur districts of Himachal Pradesh.
• Gobind Sagar Lake formed by the Bhakra Dam which is located on Sutlej River.
• The reservoir is named after the Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Sikh guru.
• It is one of the world’s highest gravity dams, construction of the dam was started in 1955 and completed in1962.
Frequenty Asked Questions
1. Which dam withhold the largest water reservoir in india in terms of water storage capacity?
Answer: Indira Sagar Dam
• Hirakud Dam is built on the Mahanadi River.
• It is ocated at Sambalpur in the state of Odisha in India.
• Hirakud dam is the longest earthen dam in the world.
• Total area of the dam is 83,400 km^2.
Related Topics Multipurpose projects of India