In this piece, we have examined OTT, which stands for over-the-top, including its different types, advantages, and the use of OTT in marketing.
OTT full form in media and cinema
• OTT stands for: “Over the Top” in any form of visual media or cinema.
What is the definition of OTT in media and cinema?
• OTT, or “Over The Top”, refers to any streaming service that provides video and audio content via the internet, bypassing traditional media such as cable TV, where content is controlled by service providers.
• The term “OTT platform” has gained a lot of popularity, despite the widespread use of cable TV. To access a program on cable TV, a viewer typically has to obtain a cable connection from a local service provider.
• In the current era, individuals can subscribe to various OTT services such as Netflix or Spotify. These platforms deliver shows and programs through the internet. Cable TV providers now only offer internet connectivity, and do not have any control over the content that is consumed.
Also, view Computer Related Full forms (table format)
Bigg boss OTT full form
• Bigg Boss OTT or BB OTT, also known as Bigg Boss: Over-The-Top.
• The first season of the popular television show (Bigg Boss OTT 1) was released on OTT platforms Voot and Voot Select only on 8 August 2021.
• Voot is an Indian OTT streaming service serving across India, the UK (Virgin Media only), and the US (Sling TV only).
OTT platform means
• OTT, or Over the Top, refers to a subscription-based streaming service for media. The company that provides this service is known as an OTT platform. An OTT platform is a website or application that allows for streaming on various internet-enabled devices that support OTT applications.
Why it is called “Over the Top”?
• Over-the-top (OTT) refers to the distribution of audio, video, and other forms of media via the internet, bypassing traditional cable or satellite television providers. The term “over-the-top” refers to the fact that the content is delivered “over” the traditional methods of distribution, such as cable or satellite TV.
• All OTT content can be consumed through various apps and websites using various devices such as computers, smartphones, tablets, and streaming media players.
• It is a popular way for individuals and companies to distribute video content directly to consumers, bypassing traditional distribution channels and making it possible to reach a potentially global audience.
Why OTT is important?
• Over-the-top (OTT) is a relatively new development, with significant potential for growth. As more companies enter the OTT space, this leads to more options for consumers and an increase in the amount of advertising inventory available for marketing.
• In today’s world, the availability of inexpensive internet has made it easy to access OTT services. Marketers can use these platforms to expand their business.
What are the benefits of OTT?
• Traditional media, such as television and print publications, are not able to display personalized or targeted advertisements to individual users. This makes it difficult to reach a specific audience through these forms of media.
• On the other hand, OTT platforms (over-the-top platforms) do allow for the serving of personalized ads, which can help to target a specific audience. Brands and marketers can choose how and when to air their marketing campaigns to reach specific demographics. OTT services also allow users to watch their favorite shows and programs at any time, making it a convenient option for media consumption.
How do OTT platforms differ from cable and TV services?
• The main difference is that you can choose what you want to watch on an OTT compared to cable.
• You can pause and play the content you are watching on an OTT platform as you need.
• Also, the Key advantages of OTT are the low price range and on-demand services for consumers.
• In cable TV we watch 10 minutes of commercials within a 30-minute program, whereas in OTT we can watch ad-free content.
Types of OTT service providers
• Based on streaming media there are different types of OTT platforms, Let’s take a look at all the OTT types.
• It is the most common video streaming OTT service.
• This is the most popular OTT advertising media for marketers.
• Some examples of OTT television services include:
Amazon Prime Video
HBO (Max, Go, Now)
• It includes any online chat rooms or instant messaging services third parties provide. These services are usually an alternative to traditional text messaging and are supplied by a mobile network operator. OTT advertisements can appear as banners on these applications or websites.
• Some examples of OTT messaging services include:
OTT Voice Calling
• Nowadays, voice OTT services are increasingly common instead of phone calls.
• Some of these voice calling services include:
What is OTT marketing?
• OTT marketing is the delivery of ads over the internet through video streaming. It runs video ad interruptions, banner ads, sponsored content, and more.
• Traditional ad-serving modes like TV are usually controlled by the network and the corporations advertising on it. But, over-the-top marketing allows companies to bypass traditional TV providers, which typically manage media and content distribution across regions.
• OTT ads gave a powerful tool for marketers to reach out to audiences directly by providing user-targeted ads and getting them to buy their goods.
What are OTT platforms?
Some examples of popular OTT platforms in India are listed below:
• Disney+ Hotstar
• Amazon Prime
• Sony LIV
• Alt Balaji
• Ullu App
• EROS Now
Is MX Player an OTT?
• MX Player is one of the best free OTT platforms in India, which comprises an exciting collection of TV shows, web series, movies, Music & Songs.
• It is developed by MX Media & Entertainment, and currently has more than 280 million users worldwide.
• The MX Player platform currently operates on an ad-supported model. But you can subscribe for ad-free content.
• MX Player, lets you enjoy watching your favorite content on your laptop, TV, mobile phone, and other smart devices.
How to watch movies on OTT?
• To watch movies on an OTT platform, you need to install your favorite OTT platform app on your phone, TV, or tablet.
• After installing your favorite OTT platform app you need to take monthly or yearly subscriptions for certain OTT apps.
• You can check the monthly or yearly subscription fees from the official website of each OTT platform.
• And, after that you will be able to watch your favorite TV show, movie, or web series.
Other OTT Full forms
BSC OTT full form
• BSC stands for Bachelor of Science, and the full form of OTT in BSC is Operation Theatre Technology.
• Operation theater technology is a branch of paramedical science.
• It deals with various aspects related to surgeries performed in operation theatres.
• Those skilled in this technology are called Operation Theater Technicians.
• Various institutes offer various diploma and degree courses in operation theater technology which help candidates to learn skills in this field.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Answer: Over the Top
• It was started by Reliance Entertainment in the year 2008.
Answer: Voot OTT platform (powered by Viacom18)
• It offers mostly free-of-cost content by the national television channel Colors.
Answer: nexGTv (launched in 2010 by Digivive)
Answer: Hotstar (now Disney+ Hotstar)
• Hotstar has the exclusive streaming rights of IPL in India.