Here is a brief note on CD-ROM full form. Learn all about CD-ROM like CD-ROM full form, Usage of CD-ROM, Advantages of CD-ROM, Disadvantages of CD-ROM, storage capacity of a CD-ROM.
What is the full form of CD-ROM?
• CD-ROM stands for “compact disc read-only memory.”
Also learn about OTT full form
• In 1982, the standard compact disc (CD) was introduced for digital audio reproduction.
• The computer industry adopted the standard CD, beginning in the mid-1980s.
What is CD-ROM?
• A CD-ROM is a type of optical computer storage media.
• The data stored on a CD-ROM can be read-only by optical means (through laser beam).
• A low-power laser beam is used to read the digital data that has been encoded and stored in the form of tiny pits on an optical disk.
Why it is called “Read Only”?
• Data stored in a conventional magnetic storage media (like hard disks, pen drives) is rewritable; we can delete previously saved data and save some new information again.
• But in the case of a CD-ROM, we can not delete the existing data; we have only one chance to write data and read it for a lifetime. Hence it is called “read-only.”
Appearance of CD-ROM
• A CD-ROM disk contains a thin layer of Aluminium.
• The disc of a CD-ROM is made up of polycarbonate plastic.
• Polycarbonate plastic is a group of thermoplastic polymers containing carbonate groups in their chemical structures.
• Diameter of a standard CD-ROM is 120mm.
Capacity of CD-ROM
• Storage capacity of a CD-ROM is 680 megabytes. It means a single CD-ROM can store 15000016-page sheets of paper.
Usage of CD-ROM
• A CD-ROM is used to store audio, video, and data. Any CD player or computer can play audio CDs.
• A CD-ROM is only used to backup data because it is not rewritable (read-only).
What are the advantages of CD-ROM?
• It is helpful to backup confidential and vital information for future use.
• It is cheap at a price, easy to move, easy to use, and has a long life.
What are the disadvantages of CD-ROM?
• Unlike conventional magnetic storage like a Hard drive, data stored on a CD-ROM cannot be rewritable.
• Due to its limited storage capacity large size of the multimedia file (full HD or 4K Video, graphics) can not be stored in it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Question 1: What is the full form of CD-ROM?
Answer: The full form of CD-ROM is Compact Disc Read-Only Memory
Question 2: What is the full form of CD-ROM in Computing?
Answer: The full form of CD-ROM is Compact Disc Read-Only Memory.